MacBook and DP5

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

papageno
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by papageno »

The main differences between MacBook and MacBook Pro:

* you cannot order 7200rpm HD from Apple. Who cares? Do it yourself cheaper. Soon there are probably SATA enclosures for 2,5'' HDs available so you could use old disk as travel/backup HD.

* no fast card slot on MacBook. No external SATA drives. Soon probably some audio interfaces will use that slot too but there is always FW/USB2.

* Pro has WAY better video card. I dont know if you will ever notice this with audio work. Maybe with 2nd display attached and loads of redrawing project windows open you will. Cannot compare. Anyway, there is a big gap between video speed of MacBook and MacBook Pro.

* Backlit keyboard... hehehe. Actually in dark it IS handy.

* Display size. But then again MacBook is smaller.
+372 56222285
richiebee

Post by richiebee »

giles117 wrote: I sat in LAX on Sunday for 1.5 hours with the laptop in my lap while watching movies. Heat didnt bother me at all. I had on Jogging pants (Shorts) AS I have also stated, I sat with this thing in my lap (system on my bare leg) and it didnt BURN me. Actually, it felt good on my leg.
You should seriously be careful with putting your laptop on bare legs. I did this for six months and now I have nerve damage in both my thighs. They are numb to light touch, painful to hard touch, and when I stand for a long time, they burn like crazy. Yes it was warm, not uncomfortably hot, and it was winter, so it felt good... don't be tempted.

R.
Helen

Cool,

Post by Helen »

Thanks for the report. I've just this week gotten a 17" MacBook Pro and am looking at how to best work it into my studio. First things first - anyone know if the PCI/Express34 is on the same bus as the firewire ports? I plan on tracking to an external hard drive, and possibly reading from a separate hard drive, so if the PCI/Express34 is on a different bus it would be helpful to attach my audio interface via the PCI instead of having it on the same bus as the hard drives.

Also, anyone know of any plans for MOTU (preferably) or anyone else to put out a card for the Express34 slot?
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

Giles have you tried any VI's on the Macbook yet? I'm curious if Mach5 wil work? Thanks. Karl
mon
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mon »

I've been holding off of DP5 until the UB comes out.
I've run 4.61 on the Macbook Pro with 2G RAM but it will always eventually crash. And Reason running under Rosetta is strained. Isn't it a better idea to wait?
Been running Logic but I miss my old plug-ins. Not to mention DP...
jgest

Post by jgest »

mon wrote:I've been holding off of DP5 until the UB comes out.
I've run 4.61 on the Macbook Pro with 2G RAM but it will always eventually crash. And Reason running under Rosetta is strained. Isn't it a better idea to wait?
reason is UB now
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thinkof1

Some Macbook info

Post by thinkof1 »

Just a bit of info on the new Macbook. I have been through 3 already! I do love this machine and it is very fast and relibale. I just had a rough start. The first one had all of the problems mentioned in posts on Apple's support site. The noisy whistling processor and chainsaw power brick, intermittent trackpad failure, "mooing" sound from the fan. The second seemed to have none of those problems, but the trackpad button did not click when you pushed it. So now! The third time was a charm and this one is great! I think they fixed most of the initial problems in this latest round of production.

As giles said, DP5 works pretty well with Rosetta. Although the VI performance in DP5 and in Reason is about the same as with my old Powerbook G4 1.5. There are still pops and crackles at lower buffer rates. I thought this would be at least a little better on the new one. Maybe the UB will fix that some.
Digital Performer 5.12
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz 4GB RAM 160GB HD
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 ghz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
Motu 828 mkII
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

what VI's are you using? Are you using your mbox2 with DP?

thanks for the info - I need a new laptop but don't know if I should find a powerbook or jump into these new ones
papageno

Post by papageno »

KarlSutton wrote:don't know if I should find a powerbook or jump into these new ones
Do not think of PowerBook. G4 architecture is very much outdated. Getting one now is not a smart decision, especially when there is a month or two to wait for major apps to go universal.
With G4 you will get
••• slow processor
••• slow RAM
••• slow motherboard (buses)
+372 56222285
thinkof1

more on macbook

Post by thinkof1 »

I would go with papa on this one for sure. buying a G4 now is a major step down compared to the market for the past few years and especially now.

Don't get me wrong about my earlier post, my new macbook is definitely noticably faster than the G4's. When using a non UB version of Reason with my MBOX2, it runs quite a bit faster than the G4. Though I haven't really thoroughly tested it. The only thing I was hoping for was better performance at lower buffer rates. As with the G4, the Macbook only really works well at a 512 buffer without any artifacts. I tried the new VI's in DP5 with the same result.

As soon as the new UB DP5 comes out, it should be much better.
Digital Performer 5.12
Motu 828 mkII
thinkof1

Update

Post by thinkof1 »

Okay, so after using reason more extensively, I found that after playing whatever open instruments for a minute or so, the artifacts disappeared amazingly. That was at a 512 buffer which had only a few pops. Then I turned it down to a 256 buffer and... no artifacts again. So i;m assuming the artifacts are produced when the ram is being initially accessed. Once it gets comfortable, and perhaps once Rosetta is comfortable, it works amazingly well! It most definitely blows away the G4.
Digital Performer 5.12
Motu 828 mkII
mon

Post by mon »

jgest wrote:
reason is UB now
Thanks, jgest.

Plug-ins and rewires have to all be on the same page. All UB or not.

To run Reason with DP 4.61 in Rewire mode you must run it through Rosetta. To run with another Universal App (Ableton 5.2, Logic 7.2) on a macintel it will run in UB "Intel" mode. Switch in properties.

The nastiest part is eveytime you need to switch between running Reason natively UB or through Rosetta you need to open up Reason in stand-alone mode first and then do a re-authorization. Every time!

I hope DP5 will be UB soon.
jgest

Post by jgest »

mon wrote:
jgest wrote:
reason is UB now
Thanks, jgest.

Plug-ins and rewires have to all be on the same page. All UB or not.

To run Reason with DP 4.61 in Rewire mode you must run it through Rosetta. To run with another Universal App (Ableton 5.2, Logic 7.2) on a macintel it will run in UB "Intel" mode. Switch in properties.

The nastiest part is eveytime you need to switch between running Reason natively UB or through Rosetta you need to open up Reason in stand-alone mode first and then do a re-authorization. Every time!

I hope DP5 will be UB soon.
I was not aware that you had to have everything running on the same page. I thought you could mix universal apps and non via rosetta. I have been on the sidelines waiting to jump in to mackbook/pro........leaning more toward the macbook but trying to see if I can wait to gen 2. If dp is not ready, it may be time to buckle down and make Live my primary sequencer until DP is ready............I'll miss my powercore plugs though.
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mon

Post by mon »

Me either, I found out the hard way. But I had to get a new computer; I was running the very first G4 PB - still have to for a lot of stuff.

Don't get me wrong, though. MBP is blazing fast and a real nice computer, and I'm sure I will enjoy it a lot more when the software catches up to it.

Also, DP 4.61 and Cubase SX3 run better on it than they did on the old G4 PB. It's only with Reason running rewired through Rosetta where things start to get sticky. Processor intensive plugins from Izotope also slow things down. Increasing the buffer does help some.

The main thing to remember is to keep like Apps and plugins together:
UB's or not UB's :wink:
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

i just got one, actually, to move my non-music stuff somewhere...the old g4 will get updated to a macbook pro later when the dp ub comes out.
no moo, but i do hear a slight high pitched whine when it's running...no dealbreaker.
it does seem to get about as warm as my g4, if not a little more so, but i just use a chillhub. a few more usb ports (for dongle, mouse, etc), and it vents the hot air out of the back...not down onto your legs :)
it fits just about perfectly under a macbook, and works well with my 15" pb as well...

kell
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.