G5 down...I'm in serious trouble!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

electropoet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

G5 down...I'm in serious trouble!

Post by electropoet »

Hey...
I've had my G5 about a month and it seemed to be working great...and then one day it renders itself useless. It boots up appearently normal, but once you get to the desktop when you click on something, everything dissappears (only wallpaper still visible) and the toolbar flashes like it is being clicked on repeatedly...it does this for awhile and then goes back to looking normal. I am unable to open any files or applications. It smacks of some hardware problem. 1 by 1 I removed all my peripherals...and even eventually removed all but the stock RAM and Hardrive...same problem. Ran hardware test...logic board and all pass. Now the kicker...Try to boot up in safe mode or off the Tiger disc and after I choose my language it just shuts off. This can't be good. Any suggestions. Right now I'm kinda of in shock. Thanks. Scott
resomedia

Post by resomedia »

Where did you buy it? I'd send it back/exchange it while it's still covered.
Mac G5 Dual 2g / 4.5 G Ram / Cubase 4.1 / MOTU 2408mk3 & 24I/O / Behringer ADA8000 (2) MIDI Express 128 (3)
electropoet

Post by electropoet »

Sweetwater...waiting for a response from my sales rep. Was hoping I could fix it myself but have been reading a lot about fan problems with the G5's...this looks more like a hardware problem than a software problem...so I'm probably SOL...not how I wanted to spend this weekend:-(

Does anybody actually have a G5 Quad Core that is not a piece os Sh*!?
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Sounds like the motherboard issue I had on my G5. Thank goodness for apple care. Motherboard is a 300+ repair.
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

giles117 wrote:Sounds like the motherboard issue I had on my G5. Thank goodness for apple care. Motherboard is a 300+ repair.
At least $300, indeed. My sister was told that without Apple Care her iMac G5 would have run $1200+ for all that was wrong with it-- that would have essentially rendered a unit 4 months old totalled.

BTW-- I got my G5 from Sweetwater and am discovering now that there are smaller problems that are beginning to take their toll. Not that there's anything wrong with Sweetwater-- love that place. I also bought my 17" PB from them and it's flawless!! SW is very good with follow-ups and customer care.
Last edited by Frodo on Tue May 30, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
electropoet

Post by electropoet »

:cry:
i'm so bummed
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Electro,

Our technical support has been gone over the holiday weekend obviously, but will be back in tomorrow (Tuesday). I would recommend to call after 9:30am Eastern to get right through. Call (800)222-4700 ext 6400 to go to our service department. Being that you bought it from us, we'll do all we can to assist you. I will warn you, however, that Apple is "unique". Did you buy AppleCare? If not, you will want to if there is something wrong. You can email me privately @ brad@audioandmidi.com and I'll explain as to why you will want to have this.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Does anybody actually have a G5 Quad Core that is not a piece os Sh*!?[/quote]

My Quad core G5 works WONDERFULLY!
What Else?
jgest

Post by jgest »

Frodo wrote:
giles117 wrote:Sounds like the motherboard issue I had on my G5. Thank goodness for apple care. Motherboard is a 300+ repair.
At least $300, indeed. My sister was told that without Apple Care her iMac G5 would have run $1200+ for all that was wrong with it-- that would have essentially rendered a unit 4 months old totalled.

BTW-- I got my G5 from Sweetwater and am discovering now that there are smaller problems that are beginning to take their toll. Not that there's anything wrong with Sweetwater-- love that place. I also bought my 17" PB from them and it's flawless!! SW is very good with follow-ups and customer care.
I must have had a poor sweetwater rep. I made a few thousand $ purchase late last year (since I only get to buy gear about every 2-3 years or so) and felt like I was buying from musicians friend or somebody. My rep was ignorant about motu gear, ignorant about synths (considering he proclaimed himself a synth player), ignorant about MAC's and harddrive/tech stuff, ignorant about guitars........Thank god I knew what I needed to buy, or i'd had been steered way of course.
Plus I get spam mail from my rep trying to sell me more junk.......
Really left a bad taste in my mouth.........A lot different from the sweetwater I knew 3 years ago when I did my last multi thousand purchase :roll:
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Well I don't know who you talked to there, but I've had nothing but great experiences with Sweetwater. Dave Gardner has been my rep there the last couple of years.

Actually I think it's kind of weird that you would run into someone less than knowledgeable there. I've never talked to anyone at Sweeetwater who didn't know what was up - maybe your rep was on his way to another job -
jgest

Post by jgest »

David Polich wrote: maybe your rep was on his way to another job -
must have been, as you say all my prior encounters have been great. My last rep was no longer there when I placed the order. I'll ask for yourr rep next time.
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;