OMF Import from Avid losing clips

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
tcovem
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

OMF Import from Avid losing clips

Post by tcovem »

Hi folks,

I'm doing audio post on a project and need to import an OMF from the editor into DP. The offline was on an ancient Avid symphony. They gave me an OMF 2.0 that my husband can import into Avid Express Pro just fine, but I get all sorts of weird glitches. When he exports it from Express Pro as an OMF or AAF, it isn't quite as glitchy but I'm still getting:

1. Audio clips that are missing entirely
2. Some clips that show up but are new "chunks" in DP (and not tied to any timecode).

Anyone seen this happen?

TIA,
Alison
tcovem

Post by tcovem »

Oh, sorry I forgot to mention -- I'm on DP 4.61 (I'm installing an earlier version on another computer as I type just in case the earlier version works better...) on a G5 Panther.
bobdaly
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dude, where's my clips!

Post by bobdaly »

Absolutely. Sadly I have nothing to add but sympathy. But, yes. I'm having the same problem
tcovem

Post by tcovem »

Hi bob,

What I ended up doing to fix it was to import the OMF into ProTools on a friend's system (it imports flawlessly into ProTools), and re-exporting from there. The OMF I exported from ProTools then opens fine in DP. ProTools apparently has some way of dealing with the file names, or whatever is really causing the problem, and "translating" for DP. If you have access to ProTools (either LE with digitranslator, or full-blown) then I highly recommend this method.

Good luck!
bobdaly
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Don't have Protools

Post by bobdaly »

I went to friends house to try the "re-export via Protools" option. He needs to have Digitranslator (and doesn't).
I'm told SONAR might actually be able to open OMF's. Anybody use SONAR and know if it's got the chops? Or know of any other work around? Anyone else have any ideas why the soundbites don't appear? They ARE in the OMF.
G5 Dual 2.0, 1 gig, 828 MKII, 896, Symphonic Instrument.
tcovem

Post by tcovem »

You might consider calling a studio (they all have ProTools these days) and seeing if you can pay them for an hour of time to bring in your OMF file and have them reexport it for you. I don't know about SONAR.