MAS shutting down with 828

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
blue
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MAS shutting down with 828

Post by blue »

I have an 828 MKI that has been rock solid for years, until recently.

Lately, I've been getting MAS errors and the whole audio system will turn off. If I try to switch it back on, DP won't see the 828 anymore. Neither will any other app, like iTunes, Peak, etc. I have to power cycle the 828 to get everything back up.

One of the errors I get says:

Program error:invalid internal state (MotuAudio System Mas MasBiteReadTask.cpp, 191 [6:0]

Another one says:

The audio hardware did not respond. (MotuAudioSystem Mas MasIOMgr. cpp, 681 [57:0]

Yet another, this one not in DP:

MOTU FireWire Audio
An OSErr error has occured. 0-
File I_FW Audio.cpp, line 697

This started happening on occasion a couple of weeks ago, now it's happening just about every hour. I have tried just about everything I can thing of to troubleshoot it, including the following:

- repaired permissions
- reinstalled firewire driver 1.0.9 (i know, not the latest, but rock solid til now)
- ran disc warrior
- trashed com.motu.firewireaudio
- trashed DP prefs
- zapped p-ram
- tried different fw port
- tried different fw cable
- tried different power cable
- "reset" voltage switch on side of unit

My main system:

G5 2.5 GHz Dual, 2.5 GB RAM
OS 10.3.9
DP4.6
828 MK1
Lots of plugins (no new ones)

I am starting to suspect the unit is on its way out. Anybody have any similar experiences?
cchord59

Post by cchord59 »

I have the exact same problem. however, i am using a mk2. I havn't found a cure for it yet, but I thought I'd let you know that you are not alone.

Do you experence cpu spikes as well? I do, and I'm wondering if the problems are related. I've tried all the same things you have, and still no luck.

Do you have the any of the waves plugins installed. I found that it seemed to start when I installed a waves bundle.

sorry I couldn't be more help.
blue

Post by blue »

Thanks for your reply, cchord59. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has this problem, though I wouldn't wish this fate upon anybody!

To answer your questions, I do get occasional CPU spikes but I hardly ever notice any audio glitches when they happen. So, it hasn't really been a problem. Also, I have the Waves Renn bundle but have had it for years and this problem is new for me.

I emailed MOTU tech support but I have yet to hear back from them. I guess I'll have to spend a day of my life redialing their number till I get past the busy signals. :(
Harry

Post by Harry »

I had the same problem.
I believe:
The 828 mk 1 is NOT compatible with the G5 and OS X!

Read this Thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 28&start=0
OS 10.14.6, iMac i7.3,5 with 32 GB Ram, 828x, Miditimepiece AV, DP 10.00 (ger.)
MachFive 3, MSi, Ethno 1, Omnisphere 2, Sampletank 4, Forest Kingdom II, Desert Winds, EWQLSO-Silver, Real Guitar 2, VLP120, PLP120, VCP120, Liquid Saxophones, Elastic, The Resource, Wave Arts PowerSuite 4+5 and Master Restoration, Kontaktplayer, Absynth 5, Ni Action Strings etc.
blue

Post by blue »

Hey Harry,

Thanks for the reply. I've been using this 828 with a G5 and OSX for about 2 years without any problems. After much troubleshooting, I have decided the unit is on the fritz. I hooked it up to another machine here in the studio and encountered the same issue. It would work for a bit (anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours), then crap out.
brofe

Re: MAS shutting down with 828

Post by brofe »

I get similar audio system turning off messages (with the error "MotuAudioSystem Mas MasIOMgr.cpp, 716 [57:0]"), but only in one project. I am using Performer lite but no MOTU interfaces. All hardware is exactly the same as the previous project, which still opens and functions fine). In fact I am only just starting this one and have only imported a single audio file. When ever I try to play that back nothing happens until a few second later when I get the Audio system turned off message. In fact Performer lite seems incredibly keen to turn the audio system off, whatever that means. Anyone know if there something fundamentally wrong that I am setting up?