Marc Strings - terrible sounding sample

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

muze
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Marc Strings - terrible sounding sample

Post by muze »

The marcato sample that is under string ensemble>all strings>all strings marc has some horrible background noise. Listen to this example.

http://www.mashedbuddha.com/sounds/MarcStrings.wav

Especially at 3 seconds in, there is a high pitched almost squeaky reverb (without or without the plugin's built in reverb on).

It always happens on this particular sample in the higher register and it's really screwing things up for me.

There's also a click that happens when I hold sustained strings from the same category. If they're held out long enough, about 7 seconds maybe, there's a click like the 'loop' is repeating.

Anyone else experience these things?
DanAE

MSI Software

Post by DanAE »

Yes. There are too many flaws in this sample software. The samples have the potential to sound well, but there are too many inconsistencies within the sample library. Also, not to mention compatability with PC hardware. That is if there truly is any compatability. I would never recommend using MSI live as a plug-in or stand-alone. When you have to worry about sticky notes, spikes and whatever else that can go wrong with this software, it's not worth recommending it to anyone. Also, when your hardware meets, and is above the required specifications to run MSI, it can be very disapointing. Don't get me wrong, I am using it, but I am using another sample plug-in and runs much more stable.
muze

Post by muze »

It's unbelievable how many issues with the samples there are. For some unexplicable reason, different keys of the same sample seem to be placed in different areas in the stereo spectrum. Also different notes of the same sample are not the same volume at the same velocity. Really annoying. I also often hear sample switching, when auditioning samples.

I'm going to look into GPO, Vienna Strings, maybe EWQL Symphonic Orchestra. :?

What's most unbelievable is how so many "pro" reviewers are apparently deaf.

As for compatibilities, as I've spewed forth on several other threads here already, I can only run this thing as a VST and only at 96khz. No dice as DXi, or 44.1.

And the 1.1.1 update? Yeah, THAT didn't work.
DanAE

MSI

Post by DanAE »

You sure are right about the volume/velocity sensitivity on certain notes.
lia

Post by lia »

I agree and i'm thinking that Motu have to re-recording some instrument articulations.This product is clearly not finish yet.
Orifepo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Orifepo »

yes lia.

And some supposedly sustaineds sounds, like the choirs, do not have definite the loop point. The use of the choirs, he remains much restricted to short phrases. In other words: it is not possible to sustain the sound during 4 compases continued with 120 of tempo. :cry:
muxlow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by muxlow »

Have any of these issues been addressed in the two years since this thread was posted?
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer