running more than 2 monitors

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

macsrock
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

running more than 2 monitors

Post by macsrock »

hi there i have a g5 im running the dual dvi monitors at the mo but i see some people have added more.. how can i do that??
cheers
paul
macsrock

Post by macsrock »

hellooo???
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

add an additional graphics card if you are in a tower. You can have as many monitors as you want -- you just need graphics cards to drive them.

Something along the lines of this:

ATI Mac Radeon 9200 PCI

http://www.provantage.com/ati-100-436011~7ATIT41P.htm

This assumes that you have PCI slots or PCI-X slots in your G5. If you have a mac w PCI-e slots you will need a different card.

--
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

I just tried playing a a DVD back on my g5 with VLC and to my surprise it automatically kicked the sound out in surround

I am now thinking I might I want to run a 3rd monitor - but thinking of making it either a plasma or a projector

How well will this work you reckon?

is there any other way to do it? not sure I want to run all three at the same time -might make my wacom tablet a bit weird to use?
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Hey martian:

Not sure how the surround sound thing applies here-- but it's nice to know that VLC will do surround!

But, my only thoughts about a projector would be 1) the luminocity limit of the projector vs the light in the room where you are working, and 2) how much fan noise the projector will add to your acoustical environment. Otherwise, I don't see any technical reason why a projector wouldn't work. The one plus is that you could make the display HUGE. This alone might bear some solution to the fan noise problem in that the projector would be placed further away from your immediate listening area.

As for "having" three monitors at once vs running two at a time, that's probably a matter of personal choice rather than a hardcore technical one.

You might want to check THIS out..... What was once overkill seems to have found a market demand!! Mission Control, anyone?

http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview-po ... lite.shtml

Note that there are configs with MORE than 3 monitors as well!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

wow monster mon set up!

I alreaady got 2 nice sony tho

maybe I just need a switcher

or some way of mirroring monitor 1 for instance and that can go up to the projector/plasma

then I can playback DVD etc and occasionally use it as the main mon - maybe when playing with live or something that's a one mon job

I want it so I can refernce DVD's thro my main speakers and in the same fashion as mixing in surrouund

the noise thing u mention on the projector might be an issue tho

However I did build a baffle for my air conditioning unit in my VO room and to be honest I'm surprised how well it worked - ( I got the design from and acoustics book )

might do a variation on that.. it's only likely to be a high frequency thing so not too difficult to reduce