anyone using Ableton's Live 5 w DP? Opinions?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

funkyfreddy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

anyone using Ableton's Live 5 w DP? Opinions?

Post by funkyfreddy »

Anyone using Ableton's Live 5 w DP? I've been interested in this software for awhile..... How do you like it? Is Ableton's Operator instrument useful as well? Thanks, Fred
markwayne
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by markwayne »

Anyone using Ableton's Live 5 w DP? I've been interested in this software for awhile..... How do you like it? Is Ableton's Operator instrument useful as well?

I was given a copy of Live several years ago by a local rep. At first I couldn't figure out a way to make it work with my workflow so it sat unused on my shelf. Then Ableton released version 4 and I saw that they had added VI hosting and MIDI. I threw a copy on a PC, slaved it to my Mac and discovered Live's talent:

1. It is a groove monster! This software is like a software MPC60 with the tightest MTC sync this side of Reason. I now frequently port all my rhythm beds over to Live on the same, slave PC to take the load off of my Mac when it starts to falter. (In my experience the groove is always the first thing to suffer when a machine is taxed.)
2.Live's rewire implementation is very solid. It seems well optimized on my G4. (Unlike DP.)
3. Ableton also seems like a really cool, little company.
4. Live is cross-platform.
5. It's the closest thing to Acid the Mac is likely to see.

Now for the bad stuff.

1. Live is very primitive with regards to MIDI editing.
2. It is designed for loop-style workflows and is not setup for linear recording.
3. Operator is cute but not worth the money. Of course, I have a TX-816 here as well as FM7 on my Mac so I'm pretty well covered for FM sounds. 4. Live 5 has not, based on my needs, brought much to the party although something in it added such a performance hit on my computer that I went back to 4.14.

Wayne
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.
azusa749a
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by azusa749a »

I use Live 5 with DP4.6.1.
It's a great program but I only use about 30% of its capability.
I still sequence through DP.