Pay for own UPC code versus CD Baby

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pay for own UPC code versus CD Baby

Post by James Steele »

Hey all... I don't know why, but I'm naturally suspicious. Is there an advantage to popping the 900 bucks or so to own one's own UPC code for CDs and merchandise? I'm inclined that there would be down the line. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
draudio2u

not that I know of,,,yet

Post by draudio2u »

I have mine slapped on for free with DISC MAKERS. No problem thus far and all payments have been tracked accordingly.
MacBook Pro FULL, 896HD, 828mkii, DP7... Just go to the web site and look at the pretty pictures ; )
digitaldogcreative

Post by digitaldogcreative »

Hi James, you shouldn't have to pay more than about $50 USD for a barcode for your product. Unless you are a manufacturer which in fact does pay about $900 a year to have membership and the right supply barcodes, or need you own vast supply of them.

Some manufacturers offer them free with their packages some don't. Hope that helps.

D
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

digitaldogcreative wrote:Hi James, you shouldn't have to pay more than about $50 USD for a barcode for your product. Unless you are a manufacturer which in fact does pay about $900 a year to have membership and the right supply barcodes, or need you own vast supply of them.

Some manufacturers offer them free with their packages some don't. Hope that helps.

D
Oh... okay. Well I didn't realize ith was 900 a year. I thougth it was a one-time 900 charge. And my question is whether it was worth getting my OWN code for my independent label. When a company dups your CD and gives you a bar code, it's still shown as a DiscMaker/CD-Baby product. The first numbers sort of indicate the UPC Owners... I guess it's the internet equivalent of:

http://www.paleblackrecords.com

versus

http://www.cdbaby.com/paleblackrecords
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mesasand

UPC Codes

Post by mesasand »

OK, here's the skinny on UPC Codes:

You're exactly right about how the project will show up - A Discmakers UPC code will always show in the system as a Discmakers product. That's what the first 6 digits do.

If you want your own UPC code, the minimum charge is a one-time fee (we paid $750 in 1998, don't know what it is now). With that, you get a one-year membership in their Partner Connections program, which gives you access to some other resources - frankly, I don't even know what they are.

If you don't renew, your UPC code is still active - you simply don't have access to the Partner Connections services. You can call GS1 to verify this information:

--------------
GS1 Customer Service:
7887 Washington Village Drive, Suite 300
Dayton, OH 45459
Tel 937.435.3870
Fax 937.435.7317
Email info@gs1us.org
Open Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 6 PM EST
Paul Bordenkircher
Mesa Sand Productions
Music Services for Independent Artists
www.mesasand.com
paul@mesasand.com

Dual 2GHz G5 / 1.5GB / 80GB/150GB HD, DP5.1, Motu 828 Mk II, 828, M-Audio Octane, dbx 266XL, Behringer MIC2200, Tannoy Reveal Actives, SonikSynth 2, SampleTank2
danworks

Post by danworks »

James,

for my project I've purchased bar code at CD-Baby and I paid 20 bucks for it and I got it downloadable after a couple of hours. That code will be mine forever and it will be referring at my CD only. Another CD another code.
"Leave the gun, take the cannolis …"

#1- MacPro-12Cores 3.3Ghz /64gig RAM/MacOS 10.13.6/DP10/VEP6/PCI-424
#2- MacPro-12Cores 3.3Ghz/64gig RAM/MacOS 10.10.5/VEP6

UAD2 and lots of software and plugs

Solo project here and on iTunes
chunkdz

Post by chunkdz »

James, just curious - what did you end up doing?
8 Core 2.8
DP 5.1.3
M5 II
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

im interested too, because i checked CD baby's site and found this:

"So - CD Baby has paid the $750, and can give you your own unique UPC Barcode for only $20. It will be entirely yours, forever. When your barcode on your CD is scanned by a retail store, it will show up on the register as YOUR album, YOUR band, YOUR record company. Not CD Baby."

Which goes against James' initial thought that when the CD is scanned it will somehow mention that the barcode was generated by CD Baby.
why would i want to skin a cat?
mesasand

CD Baby's UPC code

Post by mesasand »

I'd have to disagree with that. If CD Baby owns the UPC code series, then any CD with their UPC Code will show as CD Baby as record label.
Paul Bordenkircher
Mesa Sand Productions
Music Services for Independent Artists
www.mesasand.com
paul@mesasand.com

Dual 2GHz G5 / 1.5GB / 80GB/150GB HD, DP5.1, Motu 828 Mk II, 828, M-Audio Octane, dbx 266XL, Behringer MIC2200, Tannoy Reveal Actives, SonikSynth 2, SampleTank2
OldTimey

Re: CD Baby's UPC code

Post by OldTimey »

mesasand wrote:I'd have to disagree with that. If CD Baby owns the UPC code series, then any CD with their UPC Code will show as CD Baby as record label.
well there is really only one way to settle this, and that's to find someone who has actually used CD Baby's UPC codes. It's misleading advertising if you are right mesasand...
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

well for what it's worth, i found out the answer. if you get your barcode through cd baby, cd baby will be listed as your Parent Label, but your personal record label will still be credited. for just 20 bucks, Seems worth it to me anyway. Plus they provide you with Soundscan info...you don't have to pay Soundscan for that.