ASCAP or BMI?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
roccoc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

ASCAP or BMI?

Post by roccoc »

I know this is a very broad question, but can anyone share any experiences insight to me?

Thanks
Powerbook 1.67Ghz 1.5GB RAM, a few waves plugs, Digital Performer 4.61, Logic Pro 7.1.1, Kontakt 1.5, Garritan Personal Orchestra, Reason 3.X, MOTU 828 mkII
galifur

Post by galifur »

ASCAP.

run by musicians.

BMI is run by corporations like clearchannel.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by wonder »

ascap
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
ADino

Post by ADino »

Thats interesting. Ive been BMI for quite some time, although havent needed their services lately, but hopefully soon. Is it possible to belong to both?
I prefer musicians........

Thks.
johnnytucats

Post by johnnytucats »

It's not possible to belong to both at the same time.

I've said it before...it would be a good idea to find out who is getting the best money and service on the kind of copyrights you'll be collecting.
m2

Post by m2 »

You can only be with one Preforming Rights Org. [PRO]. I have been with BMI for almost 20 years. They have been great. All my stuff that plays overseas always gets picked up. They have even gone to bat for me a couple of times as well.

In any given year you will hear about one or the other being involved in some skirmish with either a broadcaster or an artist about something. As big as ASCAP and BMI is there will always be some problem that emerges. For the end-user member they are going to be the same. BMI was very easy to get on board with, and I think it's even easier now.

Just my .02•
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3
hellcat

ASCAP but BMI has great people

Post by hellcat »

I've relocated an entire catalogue from BMI to ASCAP. BMI has too many titles misregistered, but the boss there, a woman named Page Sober (with a whiskey voice) really was one of the most impressive, wonderful people I've encountered in the music business EVER. She was a blast, just truly informative, kind, and helpful. So rare in this business -- really (and I've been working in it for 25 years). But I transferred my client's catalogue to ASCAP and registered this by forms first, then other titles by their website. Well, let me tell you, what a ••••ing mess. They just don't have their •••• together. They left out many titles I sent in. After numerous complaints about their membership service, they are FINALLY helping me see to it that my client's catalogue is in order (which they messed up). So, go figure.
Hopefully ASCAP will get its database system in order. If not, god help us who transferred there. But I have faith in them.... and hope they'll have it all worked out soon.
semi pro sideman

just a defining 'q'...

Post by semi pro sideman »

are we talking writers or publishers?

early on (...years ago) i don't believe i wasn't told the right advice. i joined bmi as a publisher. as of late, i called them and they told me that i could join ascap & bmi as a writer.

i need to generate another post to properly ask but i happened this one and was curious.

thanks for the help you provide!!
...the only good is knowledge, the only evil is ignorance...
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

my notes are at home but there's a third choice in recent years, and i forget its acronym

as for bmi vs. ascap, i thought bmi was for budding songwriters and ascap for established big-name stars, based on the payout formulae
johnnytucats

Post by johnnytucats »

The history is that ASCAP was the only player in town, originally. They used to put a chokehold on broadcasters for higher rates. Not a bad thing if you've got the leverage. But they screwed up with their snobby attitude towards "uncultured" songwriters...wouldn't let them join! So, the broadcasters formed BMI and signed up just about everyone ASCAP wouldn't. That's why when you look at old blues, country, folk etc. albums virtually all the songs are BMI.

These days there's hardly a dimes difference between 'em.
edised

Post by edised »

ok so I'm french, here our right management society, the SACEM, doesn't allow its members to publish songs under a creative commons license, is it possible with ascap or bmi. Do you need to be an american citizen to subscribe to these organisations? thanks
mesasand

ASCAP vs. BMI

Post by mesasand »

Edised wrote: "Do you need to be an american citizen to subscribe to these organisations (ASCAP or BMI)?"

Yes, ASCAP and BMI are organizations for the US only. Each country has at least one of their own. If SACEM isn't responding, you might try SESAC (I think they're in France.) They're a distant third to ASCAP and BMI in the US, but they originally started in Europe.
Paul Bordenkircher
Mesa Sand Productions
Music Services for Independent Artists
www.mesasand.com
paul@mesasand.com

Dual 2GHz G5 / 1.5GB / 80GB/150GB HD, DP5.1, Motu 828 Mk II, 828, M-Audio Octane, dbx 266XL, Behringer MIC2200, Tannoy Reveal Actives, SonikSynth 2, SampleTank2
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

FWIW, I've had bad luck with trying to contact ASCAP about anything. You wait for an hour or more to talk to a rep on the phone - if you can get through.

I'm a BMI member now, although I have yet to really employ their services.
Still, I'd recommend them over ASCAP.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Just to clarify, SESAC was the third player (fairly recent to the US) that I hinted at in an earlier reply, but couldn't at the time remember the name of. There's a nice writeup comparing the three services, but I don't have the link handy. My recollection is that a Google on "SESAC" should turn it up fairly quickly, as there aren't many hits for that search vs. ASCAP or BMI.

The rules have changed in recent years. It used to be possible to belong to both (although I think one had to use a different publishing company name for each). Now they are exclusive, and furthermore treat classical (and film work?) separately so that an additional sign-up is necessary if you dabble in multiple genres.

I intend to sign up for BMI, but it is premature as one must have an album out already, and my band work is already covered elsewise whilst my solo work has only ever been released independently (though that is set to change by early next year).

I also remain befuddled by all the new rules, and what to do about the fact that I have my hands in just about every major genre there is.

The article, which I can dig up if people have trouble finding it on their own, makes it very clear that BMI is more artist-friendly (especially to newcomers and lower-tier artists) and that the payout formula is far more lucrative as well as being easier to collect.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP Fan

Post by DP Fan »

I am a member of BMI and my stuff ends up on cable television (mostly). I've compared statements with ASCAP co-writers, and BMI has paid slightly better in each case.

Truth is...looking at their annual revenues/payouts...they pay out essentially the same % of what they get coming in. So you have to look at how they divide the pie...and what kind of music you write.

For instance, it seems BMI does better at tracking and paying for cable television (I only say this from personal experience). Accordingly, since it's a zero sum game, ASCAP has to pay better than BMI somewhere else. I suspect that's radio airplay, but I do not know.

Anyone out there a radio airplay guy?