Are the converters in the 896 crappy for dance music?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

Ralph Pagan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Are the converters in the 896 crappy for dance music?

Post by Ralph Pagan »

I have been reading about high end converters and how great they sound.
I own an 896 and it sounds good to me, but to be honest- i have never heard a rossetta or others at that level. Like many of us, my goal is to strive for a better sounding final product; however, recording is my hobbie/passion and i am not making money from this. The questions are - should I sell my 896 and get somthing else? If so ,what? How much of an improvment can I expect (sonically)on electronic music? I appreciate your responses! (Quad G5, motu 896, dp 4.6. reaktor,abelton,waves, kontakt, event 20/20 monitors.
Thanks
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Are the converters in the 896 crappy for dance music?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm confused by the question; especially in the context of MX4.

What are you recording? Analog sources (bass guitar/drums/etc.)? Keyboards? Soft synths?

If keyboards, you can in many cases stay in the digital domain using S/PDIF. I don't recall the 896 supporting S/PDIF, but maybe it did (I used to own one, but switched the the 828 mk II last year as it enabled me to consolidate all of my I/O to one device, including S/PDIF and MIDI).

I have personally noticed a big improvement between the original 896 and the current 828 mk II, but it's possible also that I've simply gotten better at managing my digital signal path, input levels, etc.
Ralph Pagan

Post by Ralph Pagan »

I am new to unicornation and didn't realize my question was posted in the wrong place! This is actually my first post. Thanks anyway...I'll post it in a proper location.
RCory

Post by RCory »

Hey Ralph! Welcome!

Mistakes happen! Maybe James will move the thread to the proper place. You might get more responses there anyway..

C