Calling all guitarists

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Calling all guitarists

Post by mhschmieder »

While I was in Boston visiting my folks this past week, I checked out some local independent music shops, which had a much better selection than the typical Guitar Center in my area -- probably due to all the Berklee College of Music students in the area.

I tried the Eric Johnson signature Strat, the 70's reissue, and the '62 Hot Rod, but none felt as good to me as my ESP tribute model. I was surprised, however, that the V-neck didn't throw me on the EJ model. Just goes to show that a number of factors go into neck playability and matching neck to our hand shape/size.

Both the '62 and the '70's reissues felt uncomfortable in my hands -- though the C-neck '62 seemed better for lead playing vs. comping (I might have that backwards, as I didn't take careful notes due to lack of interest). Didn't like the U-neck '70's model at all, as it didn't speak to me as a traditional Strat sound or being very versatile, for some reason.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0100140805

http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0100070821

The Eric Johnson seemed the most versatile of any current Fender Strat I have tried so far, but I still haven't found a Jeff Beck.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0117702801

In Tele-land, I may have found my match though, and it surprisingly is an all-maple neck model with semi-hollow body. This is the '69 model, not the '72 Thinline. Both are the same price, but the '69 model has the traditional Tele pickups vs. humbucking pickups.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0136902300

This particular Tele is used by a woman I am currently collaborating with on occasion, but I hadn't gotten around to trying hers yet for some reason. It really blends well with a band, but also cuts through as a soloing instrument. The most versatile Tele I've tried yet.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

@mhschmieder--- thanks for that highly unexpected report! Great stuff there, but then you've always been a world class reporter around here. I'm just blown away that Fenders would be part of your trip to Boston--- love that town.

@tom--- Sorry I didn't make it to Portland this past weekend, but I'll be there in a few weeks. Congrats again on the new Strat. What a beaut!

@monkey--- Don't I always? :lol:
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey, as long as you read it, I've done my job and am happy. Actually, you make me happy, Flopster.

Good ol' mhschmieder. Comprehensive and yet succinct, with a touch of class. No... a whole lotta class!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

monkey man wrote:.... Flopster....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Whoa... that's quite an audience, Flapper, and an easy room too; just how I like it! :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

No guitar yet?

I confess this thread's got me window shopping for a Tele. I always kind of thought of them as proto-strats, superceded by the more modern form, but I've been looking at them with new respect lately and have gone out and played a couple. I rather like the krang of them.

Local guitar shop has a new MX that he tells me is a limited edition for favored dealers - nice chunk of grainy alder finished with nitrocell at a pretty fair price. Very tempted....
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Nothing yet. Within the past 3-4 weeks all three of my computers and my car needed replacement parts or all out repair. This put a temporary dent in my strat-egy; tis but a flesh wound. I hope to nab something soon. The itch worsens and there's only one cure!
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Sixstring I tried a few Tellys and the do play nice it sounds like a nice looking one also.

Now that I am used to my new Strat I love the dam thing, I tried quite a number of them and this was the one that felt good in the hand; plays like a dream.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Thanks to you guys I started investigating Strats after purchasing a Tele (Deluxe Ash) last year and having a ball with it thanks to Amplitube etc.

Musician's Friend has had a 15% off sale on Fender this month so it pushed me to buy my birthday/Christmas present to myself a little early.

Just received my new American Standard Strat today. Three Tone Sunburst/Rosewood. I thought it looked a little dark in pics but when the sun hits the wood it's just gorgeous. Set up nicely and the neck feels great.

I was researching the Artist models like the Beck and Knopfler, the budget models like the Roadhouse and Highway One, nice special run editions from Sweetwater and Musician's Friend, and the HSS but got good advice from a friend who's an actual guitar player and he said, 'if you want the Strat sound, just get a Strat'. So got the 'State of the Strat 2010' model and am very happy!

So....thanks to you guys!

Tobor
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Calling all guitarists

Post by James Steele »

Congrats! I like strats too. Also like the 25.5 scale also. Only thing is there are times I wish I had that 22nd fret! I have a Les Paul standard and I bust it out sometimes. I haven't had a decent American made strat in a long time, just a couple of MIMs and it's not the same. I'd kill to have an old early 70s one in yellowed arctic white with that fat headstock. Ooooooh!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Frodo wrote:Nothing yet. Within the past 3-4 weeks all three of my computers and my car needed replacement parts or all out repair.
Oh I know that feeling. Hope your wallet recovers soon.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

SixStringGeek wrote:
Ah-- now, that song makes me want a Tele. :P

I should just take the leap as a consolation prize for all else that has gone wack lately.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Frodo wrote:
SixStringGeek wrote:
Ah-- now, that song makes me want a Tele. :P

I should just take the leap as a consolation prize for all else that has gone wack lately.
I played a couple today. Found an 08' American Standard just traded in for $750....very tempted.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

SixStringGeek wrote:....very tempted.
Go for it!! Why?

You deserve it.

You're under-appreciated.

You constantly make great personal sacrifices and the rest of the world consistently fails to digest the depth of your restraint and the magnitude of your dedication to music.

(I know. I'm not helping at all.)
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Frodo wrote:(I know. I'm not helping at all.)
:lol: You're helping that guitar salesman quite a lot.

I put the thing on hold at the local shop for 24 hours to think on it. Then headed over to GC to play a bunch more of the things of varying builds and ages. Now I want to go back and make sure that is the one I want (I kind of bonded with a newer one at GC that is full price and want to make sure this is "just as good" - I think it is but one more play couldn't hurt).