THANK YOU, "MAGIC DAVE" ROBERTS!!!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: THANK YOU, "MAGIC DAVE" ROBERTS!!!!!

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, I had a problem way back when I was recording to ADAT tapes. Sweetwater tech support couldn't solve the problem and they connected me with Dave at MOTU. As I recall, he gave me a work-around and MOTU had a fix in the next update. I couldn't have gotten my work done had it not been for his help.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

Ultimately, I believe I know why Dave left MOTU. Because they moved the MOTU booth at NAMM! He couldn't handle being in that "other" building! I bet Wildlife Acoustics will have a NAMM booth in the main building next year in the old MOTU spot!! :D

The MOTU booth at NAMM has always been a hang out spot for me because I've seen guys like you and Matt there for so long (probably 15 years). It's just a friendly place to stop and chat for a few minutes amongst the craziness.

Thanks for all the heIp with DP over the years. All MOTU users have definitely benefitted from your expert knowledge of the company's products.

Good luck with your new job Dave!

Cheers.
-gabe
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Years ago, the company of the DAW I was using unwisely mandated a policy of "upgrade to the next version in the next two months or so, or pay full price after that." I decided to stop supporting that company which in fairness ceased the policy after a change of ownership.

At that time, I didn't have the resources to buy a new computer that would run Mac OSX for my home studio, so I called MOTU to inquire about the possibility of purchasing DP3 as it would run on OS9. DP 4 was the current version and v4.5 was on the horizon.

Some guy named Dave answered the phone and spoke to me as if I was someone of significance. That event made quite an impression on me. Not long after, I purchased a used G4 and upgraded it to the max to run DP4.5.

Years later, during a call with Dave, I offered to send him some audio files comparing the sonic performance of the Track 16 to the Apogee Ensemble. When I mentioned that the audio was me strumming an open E chord on the guitar, he laughed immediately. :lol: It really was an appropriate response and a moment of good cheer! :mrgreen:

The links below are to a few gems that Dave made available years ago, items that I have kept in my MOTU/DP folder of installers and information.

Polar video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ur3gp2exnxf2t ... R.mov?dl=0

MW EQ presets
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2u9j5w7lcwg73 ... s.zip?dl=0

Thank you and congratulations on the new adventure.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

magicd wrote:
Shooshie wrote: I don't remember the first time I talked to Dave. I do remember the first time I became aware of his full name. It's the same as my brother's name: Dave Roberts. My brother was a world record holding Olympic athlete in the pole vault back in the 1970s, and I told him that. Dave was not impressed.
I thought you said your brother played for the Red Sox!

Much luv Shoosh!
Dave
Hahaha... That's yet another Dave Roberts! Seems like guys with your name are all at the cutting edge of something! The only time I ever googled my own name, the guy with the most hits was a Brit with a proclivity for streaking at sporting events, i.e., jumping on to the field buck naked and running around till the officials hauled him off, all on camera, of course. That has prevented me from ever googling my own name again. In life and online, I just go by my nickname, Shooshie, which is shared only by an Israeli cat (which is probably getting old, now) and a Malaysian artist who calls herself an "Avant Gardener."

By the way, I've thoroughly enjoyed everyone's reminiscing of "Magic Dave Moments." Keep up the stories, folks!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello MagicD,
Happy Trails Dave, I appreciate your help through the years helping me keep these DAWs stable here at school. Started out with 3 Performer workstations on Mac SE computers. You helped me through the upgrade to 5 PowerMac 6800's. It's been a great ride and I hope you have fun in your new endeavor (fun is important).
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:By the way, I've thoroughly enjoyed everyone's reminiscing of "Magic Dave Moments." Keep up the stories, folks!
Me too! Dave has helped so many so selflessly over the years that the stories so far in this thread are just the tip of the iceberg. Dave leaves enormous shoes to fill.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Re: THANK YOU,

Post by FMiguelez »

James Steele wrote:
Shooshie wrote:By the way, I've thoroughly enjoyed everyone's reminiscing of "Magic Dave Moments." Keep up the stories, folks!
Me too! Dave has helped so many so selflessly over the years that the stories so far in this thread are just the tip of the iceberg. Dave leaves enormous shoes to fill.
Agreed.

Magic Dave always brought clarity to cloudy DP issues.

Big shoes to fill for MOTU, definitely. I just hope someone else keeps an eye on this forum, even if he walks in wearing huaraches (sandals).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
sirvigalot
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sirvigalot »

Dave you know I love you man we go way back good luck in your new chapter of life...

Viggy
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

this news really saddens me,,
I am so grateful for Dave and his impeccable LOW latency to answering emails.

My gosh Dave,, you ARE MOTU!

You can certainly have my blessings in your new venture.

I sure hope this isn't a sign of the times and MOTU is going to drop further development of DP and just be a manufacturer of hardware. :( That would be more than sad, and I hope that is not the case.

THANK YOU for everything Dave and please thank the foks at MOTU for the gift that THEY gave us (YOU).

Dan Kury
Zombie Mike

Post by Zombie Mike »

James,
Thanks-a-bunch for creating this tribute to Magic Dave.
I can't count how many times Dave has come thru for me.
Don't remember exactly when I first ran into him but I've been using MOTU since 2.3 and I'm having a difficult time disassociating him from my mental image of MOTU.
I've watched numerous tutorials by this guy and attended a few of his NAAM demo's as well. I was always struck by his friendly responses when I had to email MOTU a rare question and year after year It was never anyone else who responded. Just couldn't figure out how he had time to answer all those emails on top of everything he did for Mark. (of the unicorn)
Can't state enough how important his contribution has been to my thorough enjoyment of my MOTU products.
I wish him the best of everything ...
wondering if he will one day be known as Dave 'Batman' Roberts.

^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
Helen

Post by Helen »

Big time thanks to Dave. I know I've spoken with you on the phone, Dave, and as always, my problems were resolved. But this post caused me to go back and look at my archive, a fun exercise in itself, to look for where I'd gotten replies from you. I went back to early 2005 and couldn't find you Dave! But I remember you well as being someone who's been here all along, and whose tips have helped, A LOT. So I thought you'd want to know you've helped people you didn't even set out to help. And it's really, really appreciated.

-Helen
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
gallospole

Post by gallospole »

Dave

All the best!

Read your book...very resourceful...spoke to you on the phone a few times...very patient...most of the time you could've rightfully told me to RTFM...you served MOTU and its community very well throughout the years!

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Gallospole aka Marc A Gallo, Mind The Gap
MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 (2), 16 GB RAM, 512 SSD, OS 10.9.5 & OS 10.11.6/ MOTU DP 8.07 & 9.12 / Avid Artist Mix / Novation ReMOTE 25 / MOTU 828 mk3 Hybrid / MOTU MX4 / M Tron Pro / impOSCar 2 / Eventide Plugins, SSL 4000 E & G Plugins, Puigtec & Puigchild Plugins / Eventide H3000 SE Ultra Harmonizer / Rupert Neve Designs 551s / Heritage '73EQ Jr / Klark Teknik DN500 / UA 2-610 / Focusrite ISA 828 / Beyer M201 TG / AKG 414 B-ULS / Shure SM57 & Beta 87A / EV RE20
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Zombie Mike wrote:James,
Thanks-a-bunch for creating this tribute to Magic Dave.
It's my pleasure. Magic Dave certainly deserves such a tribute. I will miss him a lot and I hope that he will make it to the west coast for NAMM next year.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

Yes Thank you Dave ! You were always helpful with any problems or questions that arose. I will miss your visits to Berklee College as will the students . I always would learn some new trick with your visits there when you would demo DP.

best, Craig
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

Dave, You are the consummate Gentleman, and a Scholar! You were always the voice of reason (no pun intended) and were always so patient with my questions! Thank you, Thank you Thank you! For all your help over the years!
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)