THANK YOU, "MAGIC DAVE" ROBERTS!!!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jim2b
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: THANK YOU, "MAGIC DAVE" ROBERTS!!!!!

Post by jim2b »

Thanks for all of your help over the years, and best of luck in your new stage of life!!!!
DP 11, High Sierra, Mid 2010 Mac Pro 3.33ghz, 32gb Ram
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

FrankD wrote:
Your phone number sorta dates you Dave. LOL
Well, Dave is still younger than me. I would have said 634-5789...[/quote]

HAH! These days I feel more like mine is Pennsylvania 6-5000
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stringtheory wrote:Magic Dave, thank you for the years of working with us, your help and consideration were generous beyond heroism!
Agreed.

Also, it was a pleasure to meet you at NAMM a few times and hear other versions of certain tales I’d heard from Rick Turner.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks to Dave for making DP easy to buy, and easy to use, and for his patience with stupid questions.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rubens

Post by Rubens »

Thank you so much Dave for your care and patience in the countless times you helped me out!!!
All the very best!
crduval

Post by crduval »

I never met Dave personally but he has helped me directly and indirectly with questions tips and advice via web forum since my first version of P (in my day, there was no "DP", it was just "P", and that's the way we liked it!!). I remember trying to figure out which sequencer software to buy, and chose Performer because MOTU was in Boston (well, Cambridge), and I wanted to support a local tech company. I've tried other software since, but never for very long.

Dave, thank you sincerely, and best wishes in your new endeavor. I'm sure you will do great things!

Chris
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
dmerkel
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by dmerkel »

Thank you, Dave, for your extremely patient guidance and help as I settled on my primary DAW a few years back, which is DP, thanks to you. Couldn't have made a better choice. My best to you!
Dave
The music comes out of me and into you and becomes all of us. Together we take that out into the world. ~adapt. fr B. McFerrin
fmullermotu

Post by fmullermotu »

Dave-I don't know how you did it...you have helped so many people for a long time, and the remarkable thing is you give everyone a level of attention as if they are your most important customer!!! Where do you get the energy? :)

Best of luck on the new adventure, and thanks for the help you have given me!!!

Best regards, Fred
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Many thanks, Magic Dave! Your support has been invaluable.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

Thank you Dave for all of your extremely valuable help and guidance throughout the years through email and phone calls. It's been a pleasure meeting you in person many times at NAMM!

Your patience and willingness to solve problems has been truly outstanding.

I wish you the absolute best in your new ventures!

Sincerely,

Doug Hammerschmitt
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
dcoscina

Post by dcoscina »

I phoned MOTU once when I was having troubles with my DP8 upgrade from DP7 (authorizing). As soon as he answered the phone, I knew it was Dave and I think I even said "Magic Dave!". He was so friendly and helpful; a wonderful ambassador for MOTU.
Mac Pro 2.66 ghz w. 15 gb RAM, DP 7.24, Kurzweil PC3x, MOTU 2408Mk3, Symphobia 1&2, LASS, VSL VI/VE Pro,MOTU Mach5.3, SI & Ethno 1, Omnisphere, Trilian, CineBrass, Albion, tons more...
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

magicd wrote:Good people, I am humbled. Working for MOTU has been the opportunity of a lifetime but I dare say the best thing I've gotten out of the gig are the friends I've met and made. I'll continue to hang out here and try to post something useful once in a awhile. Peace and Love to all!

Dave
Cool man. This means you’ll be keeping up your Performer chops!...
You’re invaluable to the community..stick around and....thank you!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mike battisson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mike battisson »

Thanks Magic Dave. You've got to be the best technical support wizard I've ever come across ... on a one-to-one level at MOTU and HERE through MOTUNATION. Together, you've saved my 'bacon' many times! Not that wizards need it, but good luck in all you do.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dave has opened corrupted files for me when I was at wit's end. I thought I knew all the tricks, but Dave apparently has a few in reserve for those special occasions. On the one occasion that I got back a note from Dave saying that he could not open it, the quote from Star Trek ran through my head: "it's dead, Jim." I mean, if Dave said it was dead, it was dead. No point in fretting about it anymore; it was freakin' dead!

I don't remember the first time I talked to Dave. I do remember the first time I became aware of his full name. It's the same as my brother's name: Dave Roberts. My brother was a world record holding Olympic athlete in the pole vault back in the 1970s, and I told him that. Dave was not impressed. He did exactly what he should have done, and asked me the nature of my problem. Remember, those were the days when you got 150 busy signals before you caught someone between calls. They had to keep small-talk to a minimum. Plus, they're from Boston, and Bostonians are hard to impress! :lol: Besides, athletes are over-rated. Concert Musicians make olympic achievements look kinda silly.

I began using Professional Composer in December, 1984. I started using Performer in about 1986, over 30 years ago. Dave, Jim Cooper, Les Quindipan and others helped smooth the turbulence all along the way. It's sad to see those guys going away, but... as I just said, it's been 30 years! With Digital Performer, it always feels like a new day, but ya gotta remember, most people retire sometime in their lives! I've pretty much retired, myself. I still love every minute that I spend in DP, but I've gone back to my roots. I was a concert performer before I did this, and sometimes I cursed myself for having a knack for this stuff, because the money was so easy compared to performing, especially with a family to support, and it took me away from my intended career. Maybe Dave is likewise going back to his own roots. I'm sure he has been thrilled, as I have and most of you have, to be a part of this digital revolution. We were the first generation, guys and girls! Well... Wendy Carlos was the first. But we were along for the ride as these technologies developed.

Anyway, I wish Dave the best years of his life ahead. He deserves no less. Happy Trails, my friend!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
magicd

Post by magicd »

Shooshie wrote: I don't remember the first time I talked to Dave. I do remember the first time I became aware of his full name. It's the same as my brother's name: Dave Roberts. My brother was a world record holding Olympic athlete in the pole vault back in the 1970s, and I told him that. Dave was not impressed.
I thought you said your brother played for the Red Sox!

Much luv Shoosh!
Dave