DP10 is waaay snappier than DP11...when working to picture

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP10 is waaay snappier than DP11...when working to picture

Post by HCMarkus »

Sorry to have gotten off topic here. The new Macs are pretty darn interesting.

Also interesting, but in a sad way, the "Metal" issue... if this is the case, my AMD RX460 GPU appears to be as problematic as any. I sent MOTU my system file yesterday; still hoping they find the issue and it is resolvable. Like dix, making the move to an Apple Silicon machine in my studio will take some time. I've been really busy of late, but really need to try my M1 MacBook Air out with DP. Positive reports are encouraging.

I'm wondering if the issues with the 5,1 may go back to DP10.13... although not related to the presence of a Movie window, I've been experiencing significant editing GUI stalls when pop and edge editing sound bites under 10.13 on projects with bunch of audio tracks. Working with a client today, the slowdown was frustrating (although the client didn't complain, I didn't enjoy the experience.) I took the subject project file and opened in DP11.02. GUI performance was better, but still anything but responsive.

Anyway, I'm just turning to a score project starting tomorrow; I'll likely be sticking with 10.13 for now. As long as the score is VI heavy (which it will be), 10.13 should work out ok.
dowser
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dowser »

I reported the issue to MOTU via my Japanese dealer. The Japanese dealer says, "MOTU is currently investigating this issue, but we expect the problem to be specific to older Mac Pro."
dix

Post by dix »

I’d have thought your 2013 would be new enough, but clearly it’s not. Hopefully MOTU finds a solution, but I’m assuming they will not.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dowser

Post by dowser »

I'd like to think the Mac Pro 2013 is still new, but ... . I hope MOTU can solve this problem. Until then, I will continue to use DP10.13.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dowser wrote:I'd like to think the Mac Pro 2013 is still new, but ... . I hope MOTU can solve this problem. Until then, I will continue to use DP10.13.
I’d like to thank that too, but it’s EIGHT years! That’s a long time in computer terms. Not like I can talk. I’m driving a 2009 MacPro4,1 I upgraded to a MacPro5,1 12-core.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

With a Mac Pro 6.1, one can more than double the R/W speed and the maximum storage by installing an NVMe 3 x4 SSD and replacing the original AHCI blade. Not counting data transfer and formatting the new drive, it takes about 5 minutes.

Because the 6.1 has only a 2 lane PCI bus, it cannot take advantage of the full speed of the 970 EVO and OWC blades. The slower and much less expensive Crucial P2 is just as fast in these and you will absolutely see the difference. A 2TB P2 plus the pin-out adapter runs $203 on Amazon.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dowser

Post by dowser »

Thanks for the valuable technical information!
dix

Post by dix »

dowser wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:26 pm I'd like to think the Mac Pro 2013 is still new, but ... . I hope MOTU can solve this problem. Until then, I will continue to use DP10.13.
MOTU has only commented on a 5,1 solution (which may not be possible), not on whether all 6,1 users like you are experiencing this issue. I'm sure there are other 2013 MP users on MN. Hopefully one will chime in.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dowser

Post by dowser »

I have sent MOTU my Mac's system report, a project file containing the movie file, and a movie file capturing the screen that slows down when the movie is inserted.
I am waiting for a response from MOTU.
dix

Post by dix »

dowser wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:00 pm I have sent MOTU my Mac's system report, a project file containing the movie file, and a movie file capturing the screen that slows down when the movie is inserted.
I am waiting for a response from MOTU.
I think the trail went cold for 5,1 Macs, with support saying it may be unsolvable. I'm not sure about 6,1 cylinder Macs (what you have, yes?) though.

I tried a couple times, to enlist another 6,1 user, I saw on MN, to help by doing my simple test to see if they experienced the issue, but unfortunately he didn't seem to have time, or forgot - too bad. a user with an older Mac that didn't experience it could really help us figure out what's going on.

The thread is here, if you'd care to encourage him to help....he reports video is generally fine, but never tried the operations in the little test that cause the lags
viewtopic.php?p=586660#p586660
ToddBryanton

Post by ToddBryanton »

If you're like me and going through old threads for answers to this problem, I have an older cMP5,1 with CPU/RAM/Graphics card/SSD etc all upgraded. I never experienced any of these graphical lags with a movie window open in DP11 when I was using macOS 10.13 High Sierra. However I just installed macOS 10.14 Mojave to run the latest version of Kontakt, and started having all of the same issues as OP. I don't have any way to fix this unfortunately but want to caution anyone running a cMP5,1 about upgrading past 10.13 if you can help it.

Edit: also like OP, these issues are not present when I use DP10. Super annoying though that I've been using DP11 with no problems for a year and now suddenly it's useless for the main thing I use it for, scoring to picture.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for reporting and reminding us. If you run Time Machine, you could probably revert to the pre-Mojave situation...

Like many others, I ended up buying a Mac Studio and leaving the 5,1 behind. Well, it is still in the machine closet, ready to be pulled back into service if needed. Looks so much more impressive than that measly Mac Studio sitting quietly on the shelf below, sprouting cables from every port.
James Steele
Site Administrator

DP10 is waaay snappier than DP11...when working to picture

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Looks so much more impressive than that measly Mac Studio sitting quietly on the shelf below, sprouting cables from every port.
Looks are indeed deceiving. Image

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ToddBryanton

Post by ToddBryanton »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:53 am Thanks for reporting and reminding us. If you run Time Machine, you could probably revert to the pre-Mojave situation...

Like many others, I ended up buying a Mac Studio and leaving the 5,1 behind. Well, it is still in the machine closet, ready to be pulled back into service if needed. Looks so much more impressive than that measly Mac Studio sitting quietly on the shelf below, sprouting cables from every port.
Interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into a Mac Studio. I was just pricing out a new Mac Pro last night but good to know there's other options out there. My current setup is a 12 year old cheesegrater Mac Pro with 128 GB Ram, 12 core 3.33 mHz, Radeon RX 8 GB, 8 TB of internal SSDs. It's just frustrating that to make a purely lateral move and get a similar new setup would probably cost minimum $8k plus but I guess writing's on the wall, the power could conk out on this thing any day now running for 12 years straight even if I wasn't dealing with software and OS issues.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ToddBryanton wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:29 pm
HCMarkus wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:53 am Thanks for reporting and reminding us. If you run Time Machine, you could probably revert to the pre-Mojave situation...

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into a Mac Studio. I was just pricing out a new Mac Pro last night but good to know there's other options out there. My current setup is a 12 year old cheesegrater Mac Pro with 128 GB Ram, 12 core 3.33 mHz, Radeon RX 8 GB, 8 TB of internal SSDs. It's just frustrating that to make a purely lateral move and get a similar new setup would probably cost minimum $8k plus but I guess writing's on the wall, the power could conk out on this thing any day now running for 12 years straight even if I wasn't dealing with software and OS issues.
I obviously wouldn't even consider any Mac that uses Intel processors which I think the current MacPro still does. You actually DO have another option. It may technically be possible to upgrade your MacPro to Catalina. I know one guy who has a MacPro5,1 12-core like I do (although I'm transitioning right now to an M1 Max Mac Studio 64GB/2TB) that upgraded his to Catalina specifically to get around this bug that DP has with the GUI slowing down when using the Movie Window in Mojave.

Here's some info: http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

Of course, back things up before you try it. I know it has indeed worked for people. I might have done it, except I was already having issues with a graphics card I bought off of Craigslist running hot and causing issues, so out of exasperation I just threw in the towel and decided I'd had enough and it was time to exit the Intel world as far as Macs go.