best audio interface for D.P.?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
VitcoMusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: best audio interface for D.P.?

Post by VitcoMusic »

Armageddon wrote:I started out with and still occasionally use my trusty old 828 mk1 -- no CueMix DSP, no built-in FX, no way to mix via the interface, phantom power on two channels but no preamps (it was, I believe, the very first FireWire audio interface on the market) -- but for my current rig, I have a TC Konnekt 24D, which has a great sound, two powered plugs, two decent preamps, 192 kHz capability and the TC NEAR console is comparable to CueMix. It also runs like a top inside of DP 6.02 on my MacBook.
I also switched to the TC Konnect 24D. I noticed an improvement right away with the converters over my 828 MKII. The TC Near Console monitors like Cuemix. Highly recommended if you don't need as many I/O.

Dan V.
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

Anybody around using LYNX cards?
I´ve been very happy with RME Multiface and RME ADI2 for quite a few years.., I´ve been using the same Soundcard drivers for maybe 3 or 4 years, can´t even remember....solid, very solid, with any DAW I´ve owned (DP,Logic,Cubase) ...I´ll be switching to a new Mac Pro soon and LYNX was one of the cards I was considering against a new RME... (RME´s Digicheck will be a great add-on for those of us on PPC machines when we go intel IMO)
Regards
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

BobK wrote: I'm very happy with my 2882, and while I don't have experience with other high-end gear for comparison, I'm happy with the ULN-8 too (I got it via the existing-customer discount when it was first released).
(sorry, a bit OT....)

Hi BobK.

I also have a 2882+DSP (that was upgraded to a 2d) and an ULN-8. Question for you: do you use Aggregate Devices to make both show up in DP?

And if so, do you have problems importing mp3 into DP?

I have an mp3 importing issue that's followed me around for years, and I'm starting to think it has something to do with Aggregate Devices. For me, trying to drag mp3s into a DP session crashes DP......no one else seems to have this issue. And it's followed me across computers with completely fresh installs, three versions of DP and multiple OSes.....

(I also have the PCI424 with two 2408s on my Aggregate Device as well.)

Back onto the topic-----I love the sound of the MH Labs ULN-8. It's not cheap, but wow, it sounds great. I had (still have) a Mobile IO 2882+dsp which was really really nice. But this was definitely a step up. 8 super clean mic pres, and a crystal clear output.

Cheers.
-gabe
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
BobK

Post by BobK »

Gabe S. wrote:I also have a 2882+DSP (that was upgraded to a 2d) and an ULN-8. Question for you: do you use Aggregate Devices to make both show up in DP?

And if so, do you have problems importing mp3 into DP?

I have an mp3 importing issue that's followed me around for years, and I'm starting to think it has something to do with Aggregate Devices. For me, trying to drag mp3s into a DP session crashes DP......no one else seems to have this issue. And it's followed me across computers with completely fresh installs, three versions of DP and multiple OSes.....
Gabe,

Why do you use Aggregate Devices with DP? Seems to me that one of DP's great strengths is its ability to access multiple interfaces through its own hardware driver. I have the impression (from reading posts on a few forums, usually in the context of Logic) that Aggregate Devices has issues (not sure what they are - maybe latency and/or clocking?). In any case, I don't see a reason to use Aggregates in DP. Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken.

If you don't know about this in DP:

Go to Setup->Configure Hardware Driver

You should see all attached interfaces in the window; shift-click to select both. In the drop-down menus, select a Master Device (probably the ULN-8), and set clock modes, etc. Host buffer multiplier should be set to 2 if you have two interfaces connected. Check the user guide for details, and also make sure your MIOs are properly connected for clocking.

Gabe S. wrote: I love the sound of the MH Labs ULN-8. It's not cheap, but wow, it sounds great. I had (still have) a Mobile IO 2882+dsp which was really really nice. But this was definitely a step up. 8 super clean mic pres, and a crystal clear output.

Cheers.
-gabe
The 2882 is quite good sounding too. Last year, I think it was pcm who posted an audio interface shootout he did using some MOTU interfaces (Traveler, 828 (mk2?), and maybe a PCI interface) and a Digi 192 I/O. He took an excerpt from a commercial CD, played it back in DP, sent it out each interface's analog outs and back in its analog ins (after doing calibration), and recorded back in DP. This gave a rough comparison of round-trip latency and sound quality degradation through D/A and A/D conversion.)

I added the 2882 to the shootout. It had the lowest latency of any of the tested boxes, as well as the best sound (at least to my ears, and those of several others who checked it out) - it sounded closest to the original recording.

The ULN-8 is a step up. In some informal A/B playback tests I can hear a difference between the 2882 and ULN-8, even with AAC files played from iTunes. It's not a jump-out-of-your-seat difference, at least in my un-treated room with my Mackie HR824s, but the ULN-8 has, to my ears, clearer imaging, more three-dimensionality, more 'space' between elements in the soundstage. I haven't put the pres through rigorous testing, but it's nice to plug in a mic and not have to worry about having enough gain, like you do in some cases with the 2882.

The price was a bit of a jolt, even with the great discount they offered to existing customers at the release. I've never bought a piece of high-end audio gear, and am generally skeptical that 'boutique' gear is worth the money. I justified this purchase because I'd been considering getting a ULN-2 or other box with higher-gain, high-definition mic pres - this was one area where I wanted to test the high-end waters. By selling one of my 2882s and adding on the cost of a ULN-2, I got reasonably close to the cost of the ULN-8. Of course, if you compare the cost of this box to the cost of high-end separates (pres, A/D, D/A, DSP, headphone amp, etc), it's a great deal, and amazing that it fits into a single rack space.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

This will probably make some of you guys laugh, but I've actually been using the built in optical out from my Mac Pro going into a surround receiver/decoder in my studio. I even have the Mac clocked to my Big Ben with another toslink connection.

Now..... I'll be the first to point out that this is less than professional. I have a pair of big Event speakers hooked up to my 828mkII for when my engineer friends come over. But for what it's worth, I sometimes enjoy working with these small 4" satellites and subwoofer, all coming from one big volume knob in front of me. It makes composing fun and efficient. I can always switch back when it's time for serious mixing. It will never be the sonic clarity of my main setup, but it doesn't kill my ears when I crank it up. Besides, the dog likes to sit in front of the subwoofer.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Tripi wrote:This will probably make some of you guys laugh, but I've actually been using the built in optical out from my Mac Pro going into a surround receiver/decoder in my studio. I even have the Mac clocked to my Big Ben with another toslink connection.
Actually, I was talking to a guy at Benchmark. He said that they've tested their DAC1 with the optical output of a Mac Pro and it works just fine with absolutely no clocking problems.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I've been immensely happy with my RME Fireface 800 since upgrading a couple of years ago. I just wish it had a master volume control, so I don't have to use the mouse. The RME Fireface 400 does.

I decided on the RME vs. Apogee after listening to some shootouts on Gearslutz. Apogee's name has more cachet, and their model names lead one to think they're more transparent and oriented towards classical musicians, but in the shootouts at least, I felt their converters sounded slightly coloured vs. RME's -- though there were some other areas in which I thought it was stronger (e.g. imaging and sound stage).

Bottom line, it's hard to go wrong with any of the mid-range and top-end converters these days. Each has their strengths, their "styles", and their "fashion" (e.g. ergonomics, faceplate, level of direct hardware control, etc.). All seem to play well with Macs these days.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

BTW the built-in audio port on certain upcoming Mac models (I forget which ones, but we'll know in a few days or a couple weeks at worst), involves a new partnership between Apple and Apogee.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mhschmieder wrote:BTW the built-in audio port on certain upcoming Mac models (I forget which ones, but we'll know in a few days or a couple weeks at worst), involves a new partnership between Apple and Apogee.
Do tell....!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I think it was the upcoming MacBook overhaul, where they go plastic and lighter in weight (and size?). Possibly Apple is going to go "sort-of" netbook with the MacBook line? I'm so disinterested in the low-end laptops that I don't pay that much attention to those models.

But as new Mac Minis and iMacs are expected within two weeks, possibly those will use the build-in Apogee interface as well. We'll know soon. Unless it takes some digging to get those details, since Apple doesn't always list that level of information on their product info pages.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm not particularly interested in the laptops either, but my wife would love a lil' Mac if Apple goes there... she is complaining about the iBook 933 lack of speed. Can't say I blame her, but then again, money - and the kind of Apples we're talking about - don't grow on trees.

I've been hearing rumors of forthcoming updates to the Mini and iMac, too.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

h'lo all,
I want to piggyback in on the end of this thread with a request for suggestions/impressions from what was originally posed...not "best audio interface for DP?" but rather, "best audio interface for DP in *my* setup".

seems an obvious question but my setup differs significantly from what most of you are needing in the following: I use almost *NO* audio recording.
In my setup, I'm creating MIDI tracks in DP, route them to VI's and/or external MIDI boxes. All that comes thru a Mackie analog board and back in to a stereo DP audio track as a stereo mixdown.
So, since I'm not looking to use mics, pre's are not a big consideration for me.

Currently, because I also use PTools (for audio editing/mixing) I have a Digi 002R interface that's worked beautifully with DP and OSX until about or 2 PTools versions ago. No problem with the interface, but Digi's CoreAudio drivers have gotten squirrlier and squirller over the past few versions. To the point that they can bearly run PTools, much less things like DP, Sibelius, QT, iTunes, etc.

Sooo, I'm thinking that, while I'll keep the 002R for using PTools, I should have a second audio interface for all other audio needs.incl. DP. Then, in this thread, I saw Frodo's quote
Frodo wrote: The SSL drivers? DP quit crashing. No version of DP has ever crashed since using the new interface. My last crash report was dated some time in March, 2009.... right about the time I bought the SSL.
and I thought "yes"...that's what I'm looking for...an audio interface with a rock-solid core audio driver behind it.
But obviously, the SSL would be overkill for me (for reasons stated above) and M-Audio's and Digi's are not on the table (because of their audio drivers), and so I'm looking for your recommendations for something like a firewire 8-in/8-out interface with a bullet-proof core audio driver.

Obviously, I'm looking at the MOTU products, but just wondering what others you wise sages might reccommend!
thanks in advance

b myers,composer
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
greatlovesongs

Post by greatlovesongs »

Howdy,

I've used a few interfaces over the years with DP, (I'm currently using DP7 now). Some were quite expensive and in conjunction with boutique quality outboard preamps & converters......many of which were a pain in the fanny to keep playing happy with different versions of DP.
Quite frankly, the MOTU 896mk3, which I use as a secondary interface, works fantastically and has been a solid performer for me since I added it to my studio junk about a year ago.
Anytime I update, it's right there acting nice with everything else. :)

Great price, really nice sounding and very solid performance all around IMHO......
MacPro 3.0 quad, 8GB ram, OSX 10.6.2, DP7.02, Tascam DM-4800, UAD-2, asst Waves plugs, Genelecs, Tranzport 1.4.2, GML2032's, MOTU 896mk3, Lucid Genx192, asst. outboard pre-amps, effects, blah, blah, etc.
http://www.jameslancaster.com
http://www.revolutionbluetheband.com
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

greatlovesongs wrote:
Anytime I update, it's right there acting nice with everything else. :)
Great price, really nice sounding and very solid performance all around IMHO......
ahh, thanks...that's what I was hoping to hear!
(is it snowing there yet?)
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

One thing that is very cool about the MOTU Firewire interfaces is their ability to combine the digital output from your computer with with digital output from the CueMix front end and send it right back to the computer for recording the mix.

This works great for combining VI (and audio)tracks. External MIDI-driven hardware feeds line ins on the interface, and are the only sounds doing the "conversion dance". If you process your VIs in the analog domain, this won't be of interest, but if you are sending the VIs to your Mackie just to combine them with your hardwware synths, you might enjoy the lack of need for DA and AD for your VIs.

I have an 828mkII and use this approach all the time.