A Beatles Virtual Instrument

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: A Beatles Virtual Instrument

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote:]Isn't that JL playing both in and on á la Jerry Lee Lewis?
Yep but the song was Ticket to Ride, IIRC
Reminds me of two arguments; in one someone told me the movie showed them playing their songs live (including the final solo in Hide Your Love Away); another, an uncle told me they were not actually playing on Ed Sullivan because they were a bunch of louts. Opinions about the Beatles were quite diverse at the time.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Oh yea, I remember that.

The films were lip sync'd to the studio recordings.

We know now, of course. Ed Sullivan, like the BBC, was pre-recorded for the show. The Beatles played to a live recording they'd done a day or two before—there's a published log somewhere with the dates and times. With the BBC, the vocals were also pre-recorded but I'm not positive about Ed Sullivan—those may have been the instrumental tracks only.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Interesting!

I tried to do a preliminary search for a video I saw years ago of The Beatles rehearsing the Sullivan show and the actual broadcast. The video included BOTH the rehearsal and broadcast and it was uncanny how they played almost in sync when played simultaneously. That said, it wasn't like the tracks were identical-- they were a little off from each other but not by much.

I didn't get the sense that there was any juju going on with pre-records, but I really want to find that video to reassess.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I didn't get the sense that there was any juju going on with pre-records,
My dad was working for AMPEX back in the day — juju wasn't really possible except in the crudest form.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro