VCA Tracks: What's the advantage over an Aux track?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: VCA Tracks: What's the advantage over an Aux track?

Post by terrybritton »

When Samplitude added VCA faders a couple years ago, they wrote a very clear article that includes audio examples. I'm sure you can follow the ideas presented even though they illustrate using some of that DAW's native plugins.

http://magazine.magix.com/en/mixing-with-vca-faders/

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by toodamnhip »

I don't know if this has been covered already, but my tests show that using Aux busses is only about 5% as efficient as audio tracks. I am going off memory here, but my tests were of a hefty Waves Reverb plug in, and I believe the ratios was like 12 to 60, meaning, I could get 60 of the reveries running on audio track, and only 12 on Auxes. I use axes heavily for sub grouping, so this gives great insight into why I have run out of power. Who'd have thunk it that it would be bad form in DP to use Auxes. Of course, if you don't put any plug ins on the Auxes, maybe there's no harm. But other than that, this is a huge issue in power consumption for those who like to group things into aux busses.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

toodamnhip wrote:I don't know if this has been covered already, but my tests show that using Aux busses is only about 5% as efficient as audio tracks.
One reason could be that the plugs are running in real time on auxes vs the pre-gen engine on audio tracks. Check the Effect Performance window.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1