Witch Software for Mastering?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
TheHopiWay
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Witch Software for Mastering?

Post by TheHopiWay »

dave pine wrote:ok, in case you don't get it....here's a spell check for ya......witch, evil demonic woman, ....................
not in real life.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

TheHopiWay wrote:
dave pine wrote:ok, in case you don't get it....here's a spell check for ya......witch, evil demonic woman, ....................
not in real life.
DUH! I just got the joke now! I hadn't understood until now :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Anyone using Ozone 3 ... upgrade immediately to Ozone 4. Worth the upgrade, especially with the new presets, since they relegated most of the track-oriented stuff to Alloy and focused on mastering applications. I like Ozone, especially if I'm mastering tracks for film scores, where you don't want a completely finished sound (taking into account the compression and broadcast dynamics added to the movie's final mix), and I can strap an instance of Ozone across the master fader for some subtle compression. For CD masters, I prefer T-RackS 3 and Voxengo's Polysquasher for compression (the "Glue" setting) inside of Wave Editor, which has built-in iZotope SRC and dithering. You can also use T-RackS 3 as a standalone app.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Spell check. Love it.
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

Mark Walmsley wrote:I was using x5 on the TC powercore but TC had a 50% sale in December so I finally bought MD3. This is fantastic.
I had MD3 and yes it was an incredible plug. I loath TC because their stuff was SO very unstable couldn't hang with it any longer so I sold it all. But I do miss that plug - it got such a nice tone.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Which WItch?

Hooz soft where?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

csiaudio wrote:I had MD3 and yes it was an incredible plug. I loath TC because their stuff was SO very unstable couldn't hang with it any longer so I sold it all. But I do miss that plug - it got such a nice tone.
Fabrik C and Fabrik R on my Konnekt 24D seem to run just fine (unless it's over 96 kHz, in which they no longer run, period) ... my problem with them is that they don't have much to offer, and their presets are depressing. I actually expected a bit more. You might want to check out the Konnekt 48, which is not only a world-class audio interface, but also comes with all the System 6000 powered plugs.

I was wondering if anyone with a Powercore could answer this: I loved the TC Native Plugin Pack and was depressed when they upgraded to OS X, but never bothered to upgrade to UB. Is DeX (arguably one of the finest vocal comp/de-essers ever made) available in some incarnation on Powercore? I notice there's a Vocal Channel Strip, but I could never tell if it was the same thing.

And if it had been called "Witch Softwear For 'Mastering'", the topic would have belonged on a completely different forum ...
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

schlofto wrote:I have Izotope Ozone3 but sometimes i like to use Final Plug from Wave Arts. What do you use?
A great mastering house and ME! :mrgreen:
But do as you'd like! I noticed on the Xenon plugin they have Mr. Katz and Mr Ludwig... good sales pitch... now all you need is a tuned room and about 35 years @ Mastering myriad styles of content. It's an art form and I'd really leave it up to someone who can do it justice. I'd worry more about the mix because the mastering is only going to do so much to a mix... a great mix will stand on it's own regardless of mastering.
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

Armageddon wrote:
csiaudio wrote:I had MD3 and yes it was an incredible plug. I loath TC because their stuff was SO very unstable couldn't hang with it any longer so I sold it all. But I do miss that plug - it got such a nice tone.
Fabrik C and Fabrik R on my Konnekt 24D seem to run just fine (unless it's over 96 kHz, in which they no longer run, period) ... my problem with them is that they don't have much to offer, and their presets are depressing. I actually expected a bit more. You might want to check out the Konnekt 48, which is not only a world-class audio interface, but also comes with all the System 6000 powered plugs.

I was wondering if anyone with a Powercore could answer this: I loved the TC Native Plugin Pack and was depressed when they upgraded to OS X, but never bothered to upgrade to UB. Is DeX (arguably one of the finest vocal comp/de-essers ever made) available in some incarnation on Powercore? I notice there's a Vocal Channel Strip, but I could never tell if it was the same thing.

And if it had been called "Witch Softwear For 'Mastering'", the topic would have belonged on a completely different forum ...
There's supposedly some new plugs coming in the final release of the new Poco drivers but nobody from TC is saying exactly what those will be. There's a limited amount of info on DeX on TC's site anyways, seeing as how the native bundle was discontinued.
Mark Walmsley

Post by Mark Walmsley »

Armageddon wrote
I'm sorry I can't help with this as I never had the TC native plugin pack.
The only Powercore plug I regularly use other than MD3 is Classic verb. The Powercore has been finally behaving lately using the beta software for SL.
Mac-Pro 8 core 2010, OSX 10.9.5, Motu DP 8.07, Apollo firwire, TC Powercore Firewire. User since Performer on Macplus in 1988
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

n2mpujack wrote:There's supposedly some new plugs coming in the final release of the new Poco drivers but nobody from TC is saying exactly what those will be. There's a limited amount of info on DeX on TC's site anyways, seeing as how the native bundle was discontinued.
They're kind of infamous for renaming this plug -- when they ported the Native Plugin Pack over to PPC OS X, they renamed it something else (can't remember exactly what), and I noticed that other Plugin Pack plugs, like Filtroid, are now PowerCore plugs. It would make sense if they'd taken all the Native plugs and retro-fitted them for the PowerCore, but I never could figure if DeX was one of those plugs or not.

Also, it would be awesome if they could have somehow fixed it so that any of their powered-plug systems, like the Konnekt series, had the ability to run any or all of their powered plugs, thus giving you the ability to buy more plugs for the system. Even at one or two plugs, which is all my Konnekt 24D can run, it would have been great to have more options than Fabrik C or R.

TC seems to be great with their software/firmware updates. My Konnekt runs a lot more stable now than it did when I bought it, and it ran fairly well from Day One.