Karaoke Tracks

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
splatterbass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by splatterbass »

karaoke specific programs ( for creating graphics for display, cd and g files ) are really expensive, i have looked into this. my wife wanted some tracks of songs she likes which don`t exsist in karaoke world. really not worth the expense for someone just dabbling. pitching the tracks comes from onboard pitch shifters in the machine itself.
my wife has friends that have karaoke rigs, and realy if you want to get into doing tracks, there are not a lot of them that can help, companies that hireout for corporate events and the like are just end users, as far as i know there are three companies that do karaoke tracks, at least the tracks that everybody uses. but i would go to a store that sells the cd`s find out company info and get ahold of them. with luck if you land a job you will get a copy of cd and g program to use under licence.
if you want to do your own tracks for your own use, i start with MIDI drums, and start rebuilding the tracks from there. my wife has a few tracks that she will take on a cd when she goes out for some karaoke fun. she knows the words, and the machines will play cd`s, so not a big deal.
posting your work on your website is a good idea. people that want the songs that you post more than likely already know the words, lol.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

That's a lot of useful information there, even if a bit discouraging to those who may hope to branch out sources of income to include karaoke production. It sounds like maybe the technology was geared in such a way to discourage competition?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
splatterbass

Post by splatterbass »

do tracks for tribute artists is a good way to as well.
or people that want tracks for vocal competitions.
redoing music already out there is easy.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Um, I would argue with the "easy" part... in terms of doing it well. I spend an average of 100 hours on each backing track that I do, after all of the polishing, mixing, mastering, re-tracking, creating lead sheets for each part, etc.

Doing it quick and dirty is easy though -- an average of four hours per song. Certainly quicker than recording originals :-).

Interesting suggestions nonetheless. Any ideas of how/where to market material for such purposes?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH