DP6 stability

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
htieksppircs
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP6 stability

Post by htieksppircs »

DP 6 IS unstable. Sorry. Some of you may have systems where it's working; I'm happy for you. I have an 8 core Mac Pro and I'm always up to date on the latest software for everything. I repair disk permissions all the time, run Disk Warrior on all my disks.
DP6 quits, it crashes, can't use my Sonnox plug ins. Many Audio units issues. Can't open many old DP files. It's basically a nightmare. I'm using it, but it's a struggle. It's caused me to be late for many deadlines. Command-S is necessary for every change, because a crash IS coming, it's just a matter of time.
I just hope MOTU gets their •••• together and releases an update soon. I have considered Logic, but three year tech support with Apple Care and you're done. After that you pay. MOTU is free for life.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

FWIW mate, I fired it up last night for the first time and I too was embarrassed. I sure hope it somehow rises to the top again soon.
bOing wrote:In the meantime, keep your eyes on Reaper, an up and coming DAW that may overthrow them all one day.
Thread... thread... thread... thread... thread... thread... thread... LOL

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

htieksppircs wrote:I have considered Logic, but three year tech support with Apple Care and you're done. After that you pay. MOTU is free for life.
I'm considering it as we speak and have already finished a few "real" (ie: client) projects as I've become pretty comfortable with it. I'm really missing my pitch correction ability but have autotune. It definitely doesn't crash as much (still get a crash, maybe once a day-probably somewhat due to pilot error) and seems way more cpu efficient. I don't want to like it but I can't deny it. Then last night I went to MOTU.com and looked at the DP pages and thought to myself "what kick A$$ program!! So many cool, useful things. Wish Logic did that....". Anyway, I'm still using it for things and using Logic for (more) things in the meantime. Too bad we all can't go on strike until they make it good again!!
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

No need for a strike - DP5.13 is flawless (and DP6 will be in due time.) DP5.13 sports almost all advantages over Logic that a fixed DP6 will, sans the comping feature and a few other minor details. What is it with this weird notion that until DP6 is completely fixed Logic 8 is the only alternative...? No offense, but I just don't get it.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

What is it with this weird notion that until DP6 is completely fixed Logic 8 is the only alternative...?
Illogical really ????
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
bOing

Post by bOing »

monkey man wrote:FWIW mate, I fired it up last night for the first time and I too was embarrassed. I sure hope it somehow rises to the top again soon.
bOing wrote:In the meantime, keep your eyes on Reaper, an up and coming DAW that may overthrow them all one day.
Thread... thread... thread... thread... thread... thread... thread... LOL
A not so subtle hint, my poo-flinging friend with the DP 6.01 eyes strain. ;) But for the record I repeat - keep your eyes on Reaper. MOTU should, too.
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yes RK, and you could be our/their tunnel into said darkness. LOL

Update: Fired her up again last night, and she spun a beachball and dipped out on me before I even got to first base. So far all I've done is rename/reorder tracks and bundles (in-progress template build) and tweak prefs. The crash was the most apparently-random I've experienced on DP thus far, and was a shock to me due to the environment I'd created for it - clean 6.01 install (no 5.x) on a clean install of 10.5.5, no additional plugs, trashed prefs, rebuilt bundles and created new CueMix, PCI Config, AMS and ClockWorks presets.

As I said... shocking. Haven't hit the play button yet. Sorry 'bout the bad news, peeps.

PS: I had the worst "computer" eyestrain I've ever experienced yesterday; I struggled to focus on anything and subsequently gave up, and it wasn't at 4AM either - try 8PM after 2 hours in DP6. LOL Yes, I'm aware of the available tweaks, but I wasn't about to mess with an app that bombs out on me before I've even hit the play button, and no, I haven't yet hit the button - would you? Perhaps once she can idle without crashing...

JamesDuhamel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JamesDuhamel »

... stability in DP 6

run it with mac pro 2x2.8 Quad-Core, 10Go ram, 10.5.1, Lynx aurora 16 FW, Waves Platinum 6 Native, Sonnox Elite Native, SSL Duende FW, Izotope Rx.

It will not open omf files from any medium (Avid media composer, Pro tools, Logic Pro, Final cut pro... DP 5 or even omf saved from DP 6.0.1 sessions!!) giving me a -39 error. Support stopped responding to my tech link when I told them I worked around the problem by opening the omf in DP 5 and reopening the saved DP sessions in DP 6. (they still haven't solved the problem)

It is a complete and total wreck with Sony Oxford plugins. Support at Sonnox told me to go back to DP 5, and that they were trying to deal with the issue with Motu support team. No word whatsoever from tech support at Motu. The Dynamic plugin mutes the track in DP 5. (Works fine in Logic) (No other AU problems, also works fine with SSL Duende FW)

Eucon support is erratic and unstable (after 10 months of waiting for it). Half of the faders don't move when opening a session, It looses contact with the controller after average 5 minutes, and jitter on faders is back in DP 6 (fixed problem for over 6 months in Logic). I stopped using it.

It "muted" (lost, offlined, whatever) half of the 20 or so dialog tracks in a mix during a bounce to disk (occurred after 20 min in the mix). I never bounce to disk, but was in a hurry... (Use to do that in older versions, always thought it was my computer being slow, Waves ••••-up or something like that.)

Gives me garbage when editing soundbites and repeating and overlapping the same bit of soundbite. I workaround that problem by merging one of the soundbite, creating a new sound and using that new sound over the original soundbite.

Beach ball when I try to play a selected bite or region

Beach ball when doing absolutely nothing in a open DP 6 session. (it doesn't crash anymore, it just idles forever, how convenient!!) sometime it comes back to life after a while, woohoo!

Still have fade problems causing crashes, thought it is less present in version 6. They're getting there...

And that last issue that made me go back to DP 5.13: It refuses to open is own saved DP 6.0.1 session giving me again that -39 error code. I guess this would qualify as a major problem...

thanks for all your comments! Glad (sad) to see I am not alone having these issues.
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

Kubi wrote:No need for a strike - DP5.13 is flawless (and DP6 will be in due time.) DP5.13 sports almost all advantages over Logic that a fixed DP6 will, sans the comping feature and a few other minor details. What is it with this weird notion that until DP6 is completely fixed Logic 8 is the only alternative...? No offense, but I just don't get it.
Sorry Kubi, you're right. I'm just having a fling right now which honestly is going pretty well but I don't think I'm headed for a DP divorce. If anything I'll have 2 girlfriends....er..a, DAWs to play with (ell 3 with pro tools). I just don't think DP5 is as low in the latency department when it comes to tracking vis or monitoring direct, but that's OK. At some point DP will catch up or computers will be so fast that it won't matter. Still maters on my 8 core guy though. I'll have to boot up dp 5 again for fun. At this point I have around 60 songs going in dp 6 so I'm kind of committed to sticking with it, bugs and all. :D
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That's the spirit, Dave! :D

According to my predictive models (don't ask - it's all based on MonkeyLabs™ hardware and software), DP 6.02 or 6.1 is imminent. I'm talking weeks, if not days.

dpdan

Post by dpdan »

how embarrasing .... all this :(
btw, dp 5.13 is beautiful, the meters are gorgeous,
except for the stupid help tips.

you know how bummed and royally ticked I am about DP6????

I don't even care to visit this place anymore for fun because MOTU's pathetic version 6.01 has taken the wind out of my sails. :(

Dan
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I hope they come up with a solution soon.
I got a new error yesterday "Emergency quit" when bouncing to disk.
Lost about an hours work and I have been saving every change but sometimes I get so evolved I forget.
I think I'm beginning to see a pattern here for me.
Its almost like DP is not writing/reading to disk correctly most of my errors happen during this time.
It would also explain the corrupt files I've been getting.
Last edited by wylie1 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
bOing

Post by bOing »

monkey man wrote:...Update: Fired her up again last night, and she spun a beachball and dipped out on me before I even got to first base. So far all I've done is rename/reorder tracks and bundles (in-progress template build) and tweak prefs...
What's wrong with that? That's a good, solid day's work right there. Here - you've earned yourself a Fosters [reaching into back of toilet for a cold one].
:D

Don't fear the Reaper. The digital one. Not that sickled freak with the hood.
Success is just one more plugin away! And happiness is as close as your next upgrade.
Bill O'C

Post by Bill O'C »

monkey man wrote:That's the spirit, Dave! :D

According to my predictive models (don't ask - it's all based on MonkeyLabs™ hardware and software), DP 6.02 or 6.1 is imminent. I'm talking weeks, if not days.
I hope you are right, Monksta. I try to keep my complaining down to a dull roar out of my respect for the people in this group. But something's gotta give, and soon.
pcm

Post by pcm »

dpdan wrote:how embarrasing .... all this :(
btw, dp 5.13 is beautiful, the meters are gorgeous,
except for the stupid help tips.

you know how bummed and royally ticked I am about DP6????

I don't even care to visit this place anymore for fun because MOTU's pathetic version 6.01 has taken the wind out of my sails. :(

Dan
Agreed, this thread feels pretty gloomy. Let's hope they fix the deal killers before the upgrade money runs out.