MSI, Raptor Drive, general

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

kenoramma
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MSI, Raptor Drive, general

Post by kenoramma »

This is my first time on the MSI Forum, so forgive me if I go over old ground.

74 Gig WD Raptor drive seems to be working well with MSI. Although the Playback display in Audio Performance Window seems to always hang around half way, the CPU display is near the left (easy) end. Just doing preliminary goof around, but a stack with two pianos, bass ensemble, oboe, and marimba (lots of notes) plays back easily.

One tech note: When you do ANYTHING (move, delete) with the MSI Data file (the audio samples), follow up by reinstalling the MSI program with the latest update. If this is not done, not only will MSI not work properly, but Performer will become unstable and always crash when attempting to open files containing MSI plug-in data.

On Computer Music in general: It's easy to get hung up on problems, specifically the ones where you're not getting as many voices as you'ld like playing back during a recording session. Instead of focusing on the problem, focus on recording with different groups of instruments. Figure out the instruments you can best interact with during your recording pass. You'll get a lively recording, and later on you can jack up the buffer size to hear all the tracks together on playback.

PLAY