Sticky Notes Solved

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

ittango
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sticky Notes Solved

Post by ittango »

Like many of you on PC, I had the sticky note thang. NERVE RACKING, right? Made worse by the fact that I could not get MSI to operate as a VST. Well, I just upgraded to 1.1.2 and WOO-HOO! No more Sticky Notes.

During installation, I was continually prompted for a new VST. I clicked "yes" all the way through and then finally "no" so the install woulld complete. Restarted my PC and Sonar (5 producer) and boom. No endless tones!

I did notice an immediate spike in my CPU usage, which subsided after turning off Disk Streaming for every channel in Expert Mode.

Hope this helps some one.
Plakkie
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Plakkie »

Hm, that is better news. How is the stability?
I'm considering MOTU SI for use with Sonar Home Studio, PC intel P4 3.4 Ghz with 1Gb RAM. Will that be problem-free?

oh, and what's the system your running MSI on?
ittango

Sticky Notes Solved

Post by ittango »

System:
Sonar 5 producer
M-Audio PCI Sound Card
3.2 ghz intel processor
1gig ram
recording @ 48/24 to an external 7200 rpm Maxtor (USB 2.0)

The initial version of MSI was a nightmare. Hellish.
After upgrading to MSI 1.1.1, it ran like butter except for the sticky notes.
So far 1.1.2 is cool and the gang - no stickies.

I'm gonna go to 2 gig ram 'cause MSI is a bear, and i'd rather not find my machine has maxxed out at 3 in the morning in the middle of a project!
Plakkie

Post by Plakkie »

Thanks for the info. Do you need all that extra RAM, or can you work on one track and then sort of store it and go on with another, or does it build up with every track that you adf? I'm very new to all this so sorry if I'm asking obvious questions. Still wavering between MSI and GPO...
sklathill

Post by sklathill »

With streaming, you can definitely get by on less than a gig. But memory is so cheap these days! More RAM is definitely better than less!

Mysetup...

Sonar 5 Producer
E-mu 1820
P4 2.4 (Northwood)
2 gigs RAM
24/44.1
ittango

Sticky Notes Solved

Post by ittango »

Yes, RAM is cheap now. Yes, more is better. I use MSI along with Reason, and who knows what else. I never know where I will end up (audio track wise) on a project. It's a small investment for what you get in return, Plakkie.

Good luck on the journey.
Plakkie

Post by Plakkie »

Bought it. Doesn't work. :cry:
Maybe you guys can help me? The standalone version won't startup. I once got a preference screen but I even don't get that one now. It won't open. I was able to open it as a plugin in Sonar, but it won't play through my Soundblaster Live SE external. Any idea's guys please? It was a lot of money...

Specs:
Intel Pentium 4, 3.4Ghz
1Gb RAM
Enough HD space
Creativelabs SoundBlaster LIVE 24 External
Sonar Home Studio 4
ittango

Sticky Notes Solved

Post by ittango »

Have you downloaded the latest version of MSI?
http://www.motu.com/products/software/m ... ion11.html
The link says 1.1.1, but it's actually version 1.1.2.
Hopefully that's the solution.

Soundblaster is not the card for this level of audio, though i can't say that's exactly the problem. I don't know if anyone in this forum uses Soundblaster.

I know budget is a concern, but frustration can be equally expensive. I like the M-Audio stuff for that reason. Check this out:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=r ... 41/rpp=10/

ittango