step 1?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
semi pro sideman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

step 1?

Post by semi pro sideman »

yes this is a green 'q'.

i'd like to explore writing some tv background music. i've got a friend who just asked me for a cd of 10 tunes of 1 minute 20 secs.

what steps do i need to take? give me a 'to do' list. i posted in another topic that i've got my publishing w/ bmi. i haven't got a writer's with anybody but i'm told i should. obviously i've got dp to start. i've also got peak pro 5.

i have to ask because i've always been a basic player. i've only been in bands sweating in rehearsals, performances, stages, plays...etc. so i'm about to embark upon a most excellent adventure.

as always....thanks for all the help you provide!!!
...the only good is knowledge, the only evil is ignorance...
Jim

Post by Jim »

As a practitioner in the film/video business for, oh a few decades, I can tell you my observations...

I've seen a lot of people getting their start in scoring by befriending producers and then working for free or real cheap. There's a saying that you're only as good as your last picture, so you have to have a "last picture" to show around. Then, you build a business by word of mouth and from referrals.

You could also apprentice or intern at an established jingle/score company to learn the ropes and more importantly, to make contacts. A lot of it is who you know, but you have to have talent also. And it helps to be an educated and versatile composer, so that you can do a convincing and moving classical, bluegrass, klezmer, or grunge tune on demand. It would help, but it's not mandatory, if you can read and write sheet music, for the times you have to hire session players.

Best of luck.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
semi pro sideman

thanks ... !

Post by semi pro sideman »

for the advice.

keep it coming guys/gals!
8)
...the only good is knowledge, the only evil is ignorance...