I'm pissed at Apple and my G5

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I'm pissed at Apple and my G5

Post by James Steele »

Okay... little details. So I bought a refurb dual G5 2x2.3... wonderful. I had it months before I finally decide to add an Airport Extreme card. Guess what... the connector for the wireless antenna that comes off the motherboard or whatever is broken off. I play for 10 minutes trying to fit the nub into the wirless card. So now what? It's Sunday... working tomorrow... digging for receipt... don't know if I call Apple or take to authorized repair place to put a new antenna lead with that DOESN'T have a busted connector on it just so I can get wireless networking. Sometimes I feel like if there are a hundred boxes of computer parts, etc. in a store, I will be the guy who manages to buy the one with the defect!! ARGHHH!!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jgest

Re: I'm pissed at Apple and my G5

Post by jgest »

James Steele wrote:Okay... Sometimes I feel like if there are a hundred boxes of computer parts, etc. in a store, I will be the guy who manages to buy the one with the defect!! ARGHHH!!!

And in case you bought the working one, I'm usually the guy right behind you to buy the defected one :D

I share similar sentiments, I hope it works out "relatively" easy.
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

No apple care? Gotta have that with a used machine James.

Could be Apple will allow you to add it now and do the repair, you might check. Another option, the may store discount the repair to sell Apple Care to you.

I've cut deals with CompUSA claiming dissatisfaction, (can't get no) :), with the purchase and let them know I would buy elsewhere. Let em know the machine should have been checked out better before it went up for sale so there is some liability I think.

At Comp USA, there is usually an Apple guy hanging around who might be able to work with you to get it straightened out.

That's all the info I have. Sorry to hear that happened on an apple product.

Good luck.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
rcannonp

Post by rcannonp »

I just saw this and figured I would relate my experience. I ordered a refurbished 2.0 GHz G5 for someone that I work for, and it didn't occur to me that a $2000 computer wouldn't come with a wireless card. In the latest G5s they changed the card slot. Now it's a combo bluetooth/airport card that takes a little more trouble to install, and the Apple store wouldn't just sell us the card. It doesn't look like it would be that hard to install, but we have to have the card "professionally" installed. Now someone has to drag that G5 through the mall to go back to the Apple store to get the card put in. #$@$@#

I did try an older airport card. It fit in the slot and the computer recognized it, but there was no way to attach the antenna.
magnetman

"new" G-5's....new Airport/Bluetooth card

Post by magnetman »

rcannonp is correct- the latest series G5's only use the combination Airport + Bluetooth card / $149.00, i.e., twice as expensive as the old airport card. I installed one on my own in a G5 Quad Core with a little telephone help from the computer store that sold me a card- and had neglected to inform me that: there are no install instructions included with the part, and there is no Apple online installation instruction available for non-Apple techs. Apple wants you to use a certified tech.

That said, I installed it quite easily after some initial frustration. Anyone that is comfortable working in their Mac can do it if you can get someone to sell you the part!

Good luck...!

Michael Stern
Scoring Mixer