Surround panners/ controllers

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
biv0uac
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Surround panners/ controllers

Post by biv0uac »

Hello,

I was looking for some surround panner joysticks to help with surround mixing in DP and was wondering if anyone successfully hooked up a kaoss pad to use as a surround panner in DP. It seems like it would be the best option since it is portable, cheap (ebay), and can have multiple uses in the studio and elsewhere (not just stuck in the studio). Could this technically work since it has MIDI?

Also I was wondering if anyone used the joystick on the M-audio Ozonic MIDI controller as a Surround panner too.

Are there better surround panner options out there? I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!

Terence

www.biv0uac.com
Phil Jeffers

Post by Phil Jeffers »

ditto I would really like some suggestions for surround panners for DP also. I have a Mackie Control already that works great, but would like to add a surround pan joystick also.
willtompkins
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by willtompkins »

You cannot use MIDI controllers as surround panners in DP. Seems pretty stupid considering that you can assign a MIDI controller to control pan on mono/stereo tracks. DP utilizes Input Sprockets in OSX to communicate with USB joysticks, such as a gaming type. This is really your only option, besides having one custom built, which I have yet to do. I posted something about this a while back:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6243

-Will
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

What few realize is "Harrison", I don't know the whole story but I know they were not happy with Digidesign's motorized surround panner option for the D-Control so the motorized panner never came out. I believe this is some sort of trademark they own. Again, I don't know the entire story.... This has been an interesting area for surround panners, which explains why there are few to choose from and those that are available are fairly expensive. Then again, so is surround.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS