Malfunctions on export to audio...

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

sklathill
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Malfunctions on export to audio...

Post by sklathill »

Okay...this is pissing me off.

I'm a Sonar user and while I've long since decided MSI wasn't going to be my main instrument, I figured it would be useful for some of the more interesting effect and baroque instruments and what not.

I'm usin MSI in one sequence as a percussion instrument and I try rendering my sequence out to WAV (I'm a Sonar 3 Producer user).

The loop points are wrong. As in, audible bad loop points in the Cymbal FX sounds that I have figuring prominently in the piece.

I render a second time...and the loop points are wrong again...this time in an entirely different way.

I've now rendered 4 WAV files, and each of them look and sound different. One of them sounds like it could be the correct one. The other three you can tell in different areas of the piece that the loop points are somehow different than they were when I'm monitoring in the sequencer.

Has anyone experienced anything remotely similar to this? This is driving me crazy.
meeloo

Re: Malfunctions on export to audio...

Post by meeloo »

sklathill wrote:Okay...this is pissing me off.

I'm a Sonar user and while I've long since decided MSI wasn't going to be my main instrument, I figured it would be useful for some of the more interesting effect and baroque instruments and what not.

I'm usin MSI in one sequence as a percussion instrument and I try rendering my sequence out to WAV (I'm a Sonar 3 Producer user).

The loop points are wrong. As in, audible bad loop points in the Cymbal FX sounds that I have figuring prominently in the piece.

I render a second time...and the loop points are wrong again...this time in an entirely different way.

I've now rendered 4 WAV files, and each of them look and sound different. One of them sounds like it could be the correct one. The other three you can tell in different areas of the piece that the loop points are somehow different than they were when I'm monitoring in the sequencer.

Has anyone experienced anything remotely similar to this? This is driving me crazy.
I think you should send your files to MOTU Tech support and explain how to reproduce the problem. They might find a solution, or escalade the problem to the developpers...
sklathill

Post by sklathill »

Addendum: I just downloaded Sonar 5 Producer Demo, and using the freeze track function as an alternative to export to audio doesn't help either. Still the same randomness in the incorrectness of the playback!
sklathill

Post by sklathill »

Yeah...I think I'll be calling up MOTU in the morning. Honestly, I'm not hopeful. Even if I did get the attention of the developers, the fact that we haven't exactly had a flood of updates since 1.0 isn't very encouraging...

Make that a dozen files that sound totally different now...
meeloo

Post by meeloo »

sklathill wrote:Yeah...I think I'll be calling up MOTU in the morning. Honestly, I'm not hopeful. Even if I did get the attention of the developers, the fact that we haven't exactly had a flood of updates since 1.0 isn't very encouraging...

Make that a dozen files that sound totally different now...
A flood of updates? Why should that be the case? There have been 3 updates since the release, each time giving new features and fixing many problems. I believe that when a company releases 1 update per month it is often a sign that the software is broken :-)...
sklathill

Post by sklathill »

Well...I'm still not hopeful.

Actually, I am hopeful, really, as I don't want to go out and spend more money on something else. :)
sklathill

Post by sklathill »

PROBLEM ISOLATED.

On a whim, I decided to turn off streaming on all the MOTU channels...

BOOM. Now the export sounds as it should, and it's consistent too. Still something to tell those MOTU people, but at least I can work around it...
meeloo

Post by meeloo »

sklathill wrote:PROBLEM ISOLATED.

On a whim, I decided to turn off streaming on all the MOTU channels...

BOOM. Now the export sounds as it should, and it's consistent too. Still something to tell those MOTU people, but at least I can work around it...
Ha ok, I think this can be solved by checking "real time render" in Sonar instead of disabling SI's streaming feature.
sklathill

Post by sklathill »

I have no idea where to find this Real time render! It's not in the export to audio window...and help and google don't help me either.

Add: Ah...I see. Fast bounce is what it's called here. Thanks for the hint in the right direction. Still, since I'm using MOTU now for the percussion side of things, I think it'll be faster to just disable the streaming since I'm not dealing with its BIG samples...