PCI/PCIX compatibility

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

evangelista
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

PCI/PCIX compatibility

Post by evangelista »

Hello,

Will my PCI-324 card work in a PCIX slot on a dual 1.8 G5?

Thank you for your time,

Ivan
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Frodo »

No, it won't. Different voltage. You could fry your G5.

While the 324 can't be used in a G5 as is, you can use your same audio interface boxes on the updated 424 card.

MOTU will do a card upgrade for a nominal fee. Contact them directly. Turn around is pretty quick-- even quicker if you pay extra for overnight shipping.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
evangelista

Post by evangelista »

Thank you so much for the quick response.

I will contact MOTU first thing tomorrow when they open.

I checked out the upgrades section on the MOTU website - I bought my 2408 mkII six years ago, shortly after it came out. I never registered it (I was young and foolish) and have since lost all of my receipts/documentation due to multiple moves. Do you by any chance know if they will still offer me the upgrade?

Thanks again,

Ivan
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Yep. They'll do it. For those who bought their cards after a certain date, there is a discount. Prior to that date, the price goes up.

I hadn't registered my card (oops, forgot) but I had all of my documentation. It just so happens that I bought my 424 card soon enough after the G5 version had been released. The card was "supposed to be" G5 ready, but it wasn't, so there was a lower fee in my case. Had I updated my 324, it would have been a bit more. Check with MOTU for their current upgrade prices.

One thing you'll need is the serial number of your interface. The cards are not sold apart from the interfaces, although you can buy an expander interface box without the card. They WILL want to register you. The interface serial should somewhere on the unit itself, back or bottom.

It will probably be easier if you have registered your copy of DP. From my experience, they're pretty cool about it and I don't think they'll complain if you're paying to update one of their own cards.
evangelista

Post by evangelista »

Thank you!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

8)

Glad to help!