please school me about Tiger OS updates......

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

jgest
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

please school me about Tiger OS updates......

Post by jgest »

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1782

what I don't understand is why offer an update if LEOPARD is right around the corner. Why are updates released to fix prior os bugs that generate new bugs?

I am not a programmer, and I realize and respect the work that goes into it, but is it just "human error" that bugs slip through the os updates? Or does apple have another reason such as to integrate the intell better or something??? What are the osx 10.46 bugs?

Do I risk eventual driver issues if I stop ugrading my OS and continue adding program/driver updates?
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Apple knows that not everyone will jump to Leopard right away, but there may be certain code compatability issues, security and iPod updates, etc., which must not totally leave Tiger out in the cold for a certain period of time. The rapid developments with iTunes and video compatibility are another reason why waiting for Leopard may not be the wisest thing to do.

Back when OSX was first introduced, Apple updated OS 9.1 to 9.2, so there is a precedent here. 9.2 fixed some OSX Classic compatability issues among other things. Granted, 9.2 was the last OS9 update, but it solved a lot of dual boot problems. Also, because of the dual boot machines at that time, this was necessary, but Apple will likely not update Tiger after Leopard will be released. It's just that at that time some people who were eager to leave OS 9 behind were asking why Apple even bothered doing an additional update.

The thing about Leopard is that its quite a significant update, *perhaps* the most significant with OSX. If there are smaller issues in Tiger over the next few months, it would be rather odd to force everyone to drop $130 on a whole new OS at one time just for a fix. Until we get to read the white papers on 10.4.7, we really won't know what it actually will have fixed. It could be that it trims some code bulk without impacting on features. Something like this can eliminate an extra unnecessary process which in turn could otherwise cause a crash or elongate a particular OS function needlessly. 10.4.6 did have an important change with Repair Permissions in that it only listed the permissions needing to be reparied rather than ALL permissions on the computer. The impression is that it runs faster or that it's more efficient. Less clutter can be a good thing.

Mind you, software developers for the Mac will need Apple's cooperation in fixing certain comptability issues as well. A Macworld article from a couple months ago talked about this issue. It's *sort of* like asking why are game makers still releasing games for the Playstation 2 when the Playstation 3 is about to be released? Some people are just not going to dump their PS2's right away or at all. Closer to the point, there are quite a few members here who are still runing DP 2.x in OS 9. Why give up a good thing for the sake of a different good thing? Makes sense sometimes, but not always.

Leopard was also rumored not to be available until the end of the year (November-ish), so if something were indeed needed to be fixed in Tiger, waiting 5-6 months for Leopard would make for a lot of unhappy Mac users. As has been stated, no telling how long the "teething period" will be on a new OS. Right after the first release there will be maintenance updates, and (I suspect) lots of concerns with Universal Code that will give Intel and PPC users much to talk about for a good long time.

Of course, I'm just speculating, but some things feel plausible.

New bugs? Old bugs? No OS I've ever had has functioned flawlessly, but 10.4.6 is about as close as I've ever been to flawless performance-- or at least easily-manageable performance.

But if you want a little light reading on known issues people have had with 10.4.6, here are some links:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?sto ... 7081224697

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthrea ... adid=55610

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/04/18 ... /index.php
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
jgest

Post by jgest »

yes your right about os 10.46 being the most stable I have encountered going back to the os 8.6 days and such......that is why I did not understand the need for another update. This intell transition has me specking/teching out all over agian.........which is what I have spent the last 3 years trying to avoid so I can make music :cry:
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

You know, the whole inclusion of USB was a costly and bumpy transition for me, but it was necessary. I was forced to get a G4 to solve those issues, then OSX came along. That was another slow and bumpy transition, but because support for OS9 was dwindling , that too was unavoidable-- and expensive. Added to this was the fact that proper software support for OSX was moving at a snail's pace. Only since Tiger do I feel that I've gotten up to speed, and that has been only for about 6-7 months-- considering OSX is now 5-6 YEARS old. Tt took a special brand of patience to get to this point at last, if I might say so.

Now-- enter the Intels. There is NO WAY I will be in a hurry to make the switch as long as PPC versions of any app, especially DP, are still supported.

In fact, depending on what Apple does with its prices (which I don't suspect will be much) the time is approaching when getting a Quad to start a DAW network will actually make more sense financially. For the first time, I can actually keep my current computer and put it to good use without having it collect dust. I was never able to do that with my G4.

In fact, while my G4 was stable as all get-out, it didn't really feel like a significant speed bump to me-- and there were huge limits with working on audio that reared its ugly head within a day or two of getting it. That limit took longer to discover on my G5, and I have been able to get a lot more done within the past year that I could never do as efficiently as I can now.

This makes me wonder about just how fast the early incarnations of the Intels will actually "feel". We've been promised speed bumps and performance increases before which were less stellar than touted in benchmark tests and with marketing strategies. I have plenty of CPU now to run what I need to-- finally. At least I don't feel so anxious or power hungry as I once did.

This is a very different transition for me-- and this thought process is a huge part of it.

I certainly am looking forward to faster CPUs, faster HD busses, but if the software developers are going to continue to be slow with make the best use of the hardware, then there's no net benefit to jumping into the Intels too soon. Stability is my personal #1 priority since current speeds "feel" acceptable, but any advantage of having an Intel for the purpose of DAW work is going to have to be fully supported by software without all of today's caveats-- such as true 64-bit processing in limited definition, 16GB RAM capacity except where access to that RAM is prohibited by the software, etc.

The one thing not many people are chatting about is just why drives faster than 7200 rpm remain small and expensive. For whatever reason, the concensus is that 7200 rpm is good enough-- and that hasn't changed in many years. Only recently is Apple offering 7200 rpm drives in their laptops, and even there it's a special order option But if the Mac is really an artist's computer, then I don't understand why the market hasn't demanded such HD improvements as standard.

Of course, the argument could be-- get an Intel. That will take care of it. But it echoes other arguments as:

-- Get OSX. That will fix all your OS9 problems.
-- Get a G4. That will work better.
-- Get a G5. That will work better.
-- Get two more G5's to create a network for your virtual instruments because one computer won't handle all of your needs at once.
-- DP3 is going to be the bee's knees
-- DP4 is the one to get
-- DP5 is going to rock!

And, while some of these claims are true to an appreciable extent, each not only has its own understandable problems but they've somehow carried over older problems which find us and Apple at a performance glass ceiling. Ka-ching! It seems to be an unavoidable reality of the market-- but I'd like to get better control of my hemmoraging wallet.

And-- the new mantra of the day is:

-- Get an Intel.

I will (eventually), but not without some measure of confidence that it will work properly long before it's discontinued and we're off to the next flavour du jour.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

AS an alternative viewpoint.

I Left I OS9 as an operating system when DP 4.12 was released. Only then did I feel comfortable to work outside of OS 9. Of course when DP 4.5 was released Life was complete for me.

I was an early adopter of OS X (Beta) back in 2000 using it for all of my basic business. I dont recall timetables, but I believe DP 4.5 was released back late 2004. AT that point Me and my Dual 867 G4 Never looked back. i Have been settled for almost 2 full years verses the 7 months frodo has been settled. Now the Transition. I Purchased a MacBook. I do all the OS Updates and overall I am error free. I'd say 90% of any transition has be relatively smooth for me.

Perhaps my situation is unique. Since I purchased my G5 all has been extremely well as speed was my biggest hindrance.

Now with this macbook I am leaning/moving towards the future. DP 5.01 is working, My PPC Native SSL plugins are working. The final for me will be 2 things.

(1) The intel based Mac Pro to replace the PowerMac.
(2) Universal Audio releasing Intel-Mac versions of their plugins with Mac Pro Support. Then I will jump into the next wave of technology.

Most Plugin Developers have promised support by the end of the year.

Like most here, I do this as a full time career. So for me, my plugin investment is heavy.

Wavearts is on board already,
Waves is on the Way
Native Instruments
IK Multimedia is on the way.

Stylus is ready

AudioEase is certainly on the way, as evidenced by their release of a windows version.

SO the promise is there so far as a hardware upgrade.

Just a side note. I hated 8.6. It was grosly unstable compared to 7.1 LOL and so on. OS 8 altogether sucked for me.

So the deal is when its time to move ahead is to make sure what you want is "Truthfully Supported," which is why these forums exist.

I can truthfully say, in my experience, running DP 5.01 on a MacBook Works. For my useage so far. Not trying to do major mixes, but Waves SSL does work. :)
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
jgest

Post by jgest »

I hear you on not switching to intell until neccesary, my situation is that I ran a dual 500 g4 1 gig of ram a 324 pci card and a powercore pci. It smoked!!! it was a fast machine, running reason 2.0, 24 tracks of audio with out a glitch.......Dp 3.1

Then I upgraded to OSX, Dp 4.12. reason 2.5........machine was still in the game.

Then DP 4.5, reason 3 and osx 10.39........the machine became sluggish an unable to deal with reason, dp would stick/crash.

So I got out of it into a titanium 800, firewire powercore running virus, and the same issue was that VI performance was horendious.
I need to depend on being able to sequence, automate, modulate all in realtime while playing analog as well......for my style of musical creativity.
I also play live and need the flexability of a laptop to run the vi's....
I basically sold my titanium 800 while It was still worth .40 on the dollar in anticipation of the intell machine. I don't have a functional DAW right now except for Abelton 5 (which I am realy beginning to LOVE) on my wifes machine waiting for dp an tc to support intell so I can have my DP back agian.
Being a longtime reason user, I have mixed feelings about DP5, part of me wants a dp4.65 for intell without the VI's..........
But I'll admit I can't wait to play around with dp5.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

SO Speed is your issue as it was with me.

If you dont HAVE to HAVE a laptop, grab a used G5. As you can see on my signature I have a single, dual and an Intel core duo. DP running on all 3 machines. The 1.6 is very usefel, and the 2.0 is great.

I figure my Dual 2.0 will be good for another 18 months, then I'll have to jump ship. That gives me some time. SO I suggest you grab a Used Dual G5, unless you have to have new.

VI Performance on my dual is good. I can really load down a session.

Far Better than on any G4 I have used. Even the 1.6 cruises along. Until I do heavy orchestra Big Sample Set Tracking.
DP 6.02
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Giles--

I think that one thing you had working in your favor was your Dual G4. Mine was a single 867 at the time, so I hit a brickwall a lot sooner. I think that's what made my transition so tricky-- things didn't work nearly as well under the hood on a single.

But, another thing you have going for you is that DP 5 is working very well, apparently. I've enjoyed Tiger and DP 4.6x for such a short time that it just feels early to start setting things aside for the Intel revolution. Another part of this sentiment has always been in the notion that the first issue computers from Apple are to be purchased with a greater measure of caution than the version B's. (Granted, that point of view may be less an issue these days than it has been.)

I'm most interested to see where things are by next summer and will keep my eyes and ears open for this summers releases, winter NAMM announcements, additional developer reports, and most importantly: user assessments pro and con.

So, if you're getting into the Intels sooner than later, be sure to keep us posted of your progress!
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Hey Frodo, I consider the macbook a 2nd generation scaled down macbookpro. LOL. They have had time to work out initial issues.

2nd, I had a Single 800 trying to run Dp 4.12. LOL so we had the same brickwall, however when I hit that wall, I purchased a Used Dual 867 and I was able to breath. If you recall when 4.0 came out all the SIngle Processor issues with DP. We cried moaned and groaned. DP flat out sucked on a single processor machine. My Dual allowed me to jump the fence into OS X ad not look back.

I even upgraded my sinngle to a Gigadesigns Dual 1.25. Which was great and extremely glitch free, till one day I opened the box with a spurious mic cable hanging off the side of my desk then closed it not seeing the mic cable and shorted out my Motherboard. Overnite I sold my wounded machine on Ebay and purchased a Used Dual 867.

I know the fear of upgrading. I was forced into that fear. LOL.

I held off on getting a Dual G5 as I didnt accept that it would be that much better for me. Till One day I ran to the store and bought one, spent 4 days xfrng everything over and reinstalling my goodies, then I woke up and realized Apple got it right this time. LOL.

Now I am willing to be an early adopter again. i am seeing the benefits. This laptop is like running my Dual G5.

My Old Quicksilver 800 hung around from May 2002 till Frydate, April 2004. After the dual 1.25 Gigadesigns upgrade which BTW was well worth the 600 bucks I paid.

I have been the penny pincher. I would never go back to when I was mixing albums ITB on a G3-450Mhz. WOW!!!!! That seems like ages ago. But DP 2.7-3.11 Was a wonderful world. And Still is....
DP 6.02
Euphonix MC Control

jgest

Post by jgest »

Dp 3.1 was a very stable system. The hassles of OS 9 and earlier with OMS/Free MIDI made os x a saviour. When DP 4.12 came out I felt like I was being led out of bondage into the promised land.........But the perfomance/stability of osx was quite taxing on my system.

For me intell is on par with the second comming.............I would even go as far as to offend those who would ask if I had a choice between the second comming, or intell,.........
I would choose intel. :lol:

I thoughtt we are already in gen 2 of macbook pro and macbook as giles mentioned. Although the MERMON is right around the corner, is that supposed to be a 64 bit?
giles117

Post by giles117 »

DP 3 was very stable and fast. But os 9 sucked. I hated to have to reboot because my system straight locked up in the middle of a mix. I can recover from a software crash and relaunch emotionally better than from a lock up and reboot.
DP 6.02
Euphonix MC Control

jgest

Post by jgest »

giles117 wrote:. I can recover from a software crash and relaunch emotionally better than from a lock up and reboot.
well said :lol:
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

This is all very inspiring to me... Heck-- keep this up and I might be more inclined to make the move sooner than planned.

I still want to keep my eye on how successfully MOTU ports DP over, though. Some of the chat from Adobe speaks volumes on what's involved. The next incarnation of DP (6?) will be a whole new cookie, according to what other developers saying about the new X-code for the new machines.

If nothing else, I'm learning that it is possible to have faith in a company while retaining a measure of caution. Part of this issue with me has to do with what these companies don't really tell you in the manuals-- those issues that leave so much up to the users to sort out.

But, if we had all the info we needed and everything worked perfectly, then we'd spend a lot less time here visiting in our little corner of the internet. I can't deny that hanging out at U-nation isn't fun!