MSI and Kontakt

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

MarkH
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MSI and Kontakt

Post by MarkH »

When I purchased MSI I was a bit surprised at the degradation of quality in the violins and violas (among other instruments) as compared to the mp3 demos on the MOTU web site. If I do some heavy tweaking with EQ, filters, and reverb, I can get them to sound better but it's quite a bit of work. More than I bargained for anyway.

I recently purchased the Native Instruments Kore/Komplete bundle and part of the library included with Kontakt 2 is 8GB of the Vienna Symphonic Orchestra. I was amazed at the difference in quality compared to MSI. Without doing any tweaking to the "raw" presets, they sound absolutely fantastic! Much better than the presets with MSI. Using Kontakt's internal effects sweetens the sounds even more. However I find the presets so good I didn't need to mess with effects in order to get the instrument to sound proper.

I know this is all subjective, but I think it's fair to say the majority of us are disappointed at what we hear out of the box with MSI compared to the demos on the MOTU web site. Save yourself the $279 on MSI and get Kontakt 2 instead. Not only will you get better orchestral sounds, but you'll get better piano, guitars, pads, synth leads, etc..

Regards,
Mark
G5 Quad, 30" Cinema, MOTU Traveler, KRK Rokit 6 Special Edition, DP 5.1, OS X 10.4.8
composer2005
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bit of a concern?

Post by composer2005 »

Your comments are a bit of a concern for me.

I was encouraged to purchase MSI as I was informed the sounds were fantastic?

I am still awaiting delivery of Software and am feeling upset already and I haven't even got it yet?
Composer