Need Advise from G5 Quad owners

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

sndhse
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need Advise from G5 Quad owners

Post by sndhse »

Hi Guys. I'm very close to making a purchase of a G5 Quad. I'm currently using a G4 Dual 1.25 w/2gigs of ram and it has served me well. As programs and VI's become increasingly bloated I find myself hitting the wall more and more often.
So the question. How is the G5 Quad behaving with DP 5(.01)
My I/O 2408 mkIII (424) I just purchased from Motu 424e
MTPAV
Mackie D8b 24in/24out optical etc...
Thanks for any thoughts
John
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

I have been having major sudden quit problems on my Quad since installing 5.0 - 5.01. I had been having sporadic sudden quits even while running 4.61. HOWEVER, with a little help from Nathan at MOTU who got me looking in the right place, I may have isolated the problem to the Antares Auto Tune Plug. Review of my DP CRASH LOG (User>Library>Logs>Crash Log) pointed to consistent crashes on threads 12-14 where Auto Tune was residing. I pulled the Auto Tune Plug from Computer>Library>Audio>Plug Ins>MAS and appear to have put an end to my trouble... hopefully for good! (Testing is in progress now)

I love the Quad. Running loads of Altiverbs and many MIDI/Audio tracks. BFD "all" via ReWire and Ivory at 128 buffer size seems to be about it for VI's though. I now track BFD first, at 128, then set buffer to 1024, use a hardware MIDI piano to track, then change output to Ivory for playback.

Unless you plan on waiting quite a while for complete MacIntel compatibility, the Quad is one sweet way to go. Have fun! - Markus