OS 9.1 to 9.2.2 + DP 3.0 to 3.1.1 update problems...help!!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

citadelmusic
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

OS 9.1 to 9.2.2 + DP 3.0 to 3.1.1 update problems...help!!

Post by citadelmusic »

Howdy all,
I am a newbie so let me start by saying how much I appreciate this user group. MOTU tech support, I'm sure, is incredibly taxed and I'm not able to get much help from them on this issue.

Here's my line up:

G4 500MHz/ 412 mb RAM
DP 3.0
MOTU 1296 w/ PCI card

This system worked great for me as an isolated recording system for the last six years or so. I decided to update DP 3.0 to 3.1.1 to get a feature that allowed me to undo previous editings. I was told that I would have to update MAC OS 9.1 to 9.2.2. So I did this first (successfully) by updating to 9.2.1 then 9.2.2. Then I updated DP from 3.0 to 3.02 (successfully) which came w/ an icon that had the word VISE on it and opened the installer immediately after double clicking it.

I downloaded the final DP update (to 3.1.1) exactly as instructed on the MOTU website which came in a .SIT file (stuffit expander). On the MOTU site it reads this exactly:
••œArchive will unstuff with Stuffit Expander 5.5 or Stuffit Expander 7. Version 6 users should download an update of Expander at http://www.stuffit.com/expander/••
midiw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by midiw »

I'm sure you are very frustrated with all that has occurred.

Just a few thoughts here:

try trashing the preference file for your stuffit and then try drag drop on to the stuffit application a fresh downloade DP3.1.1 .sit file.

Also try trashing the preference file for DP 3.02 ( or just drag them to the desk top for now ) to see if that gets you going again with DP 3.02.

Let me know what happens.
Mac OS: Mojave
Kaszper

Post by Kaszper »

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but I found that upgrading from OS 9.0.4 to 9.1.1 then 9.2.2 ••“ despite everyone saying how great 9.2.2 was ••“ turned out to be an exercise in frustration.

Where 9.0.4 ran like a train (not a British one, obviously ••“ maybe a German, Swiss or Japanese one), 9.2.2 was Crashville Ohio. Dreadful.

I eventually bit the bullet and upgraded the system to OS X. Obviously this is not what you hav in mind right now, but it certainly cured a lot of problems for me.
citadelmusic

Post by citadelmusic »

Thanks for the input guys,

Midiw, I tried trashing the DP 3.02 pref. and managed to get it up again but it's giving me no sound and still won't allow me to update to 3.1.1. I'm also getting an error message saying "the motu audio system is too old for this application". Could it be that the update from 3.0 to 3.1.1 outdates my 1296?

Kaszper, thanks for the input but replacing any of this gear is out of the monetary possibilities for me right now.
midiw

Post by midiw »

citadelmusic wrote:
Midiw, I tried trashing the DP 3.02 pref. and managed to get it up again but it's giving me no sound and still won't allow me to update to 3.1.1. I'm also getting an error message saying "the motu audio system is too old for this application". Could it be that the update from 3.0 to 3.1.1 outdates my 1296?
Let's deal with the "no sound" first:

Have you taken a look at the settings for Sound ( SystemFolder/ControlPanels )?

Is there a ControlPanel application for your PCI 1296 card? ( I don't have that card but I do have an Audiophile 2496 PCI card and there is an application in the ControlPanels to allow me to make settings to my card.) So you may have to make settings there to bring up or turn on the sound.

Also is there an update driver for your PCI 1296 card to allow it work in 9.2.2 ?

Let me know if this get's your sound back on.
citadelmusic

Eureka

Post by citadelmusic »

midiw...By God I think you've done it. It didn't dawn on me that my pci-324 driver would need to be updated also. Once I updated that I got DP 3.02 working again by reconfiguring hardware, then re-downloaded 3.11 (for the fourth time) and it updated perfectly.

Ironically, I think the reason I was clueless is an equal ratio of forgetfulness against the fact that I've had absolutely no issues w/ this system in five years.

Many thanks to you and unicornation admin. as MOTU tech support has not replied to me.
midiw

Post by midiw »

citadelmusic,

I'm glad to hear that you can now make music using DP 3.1.1.

Occassionly I still use that version because I have a fairly decent collection of audio plug-ins that were never ported to OS X. Therefore, I can still create audio files using those plug-ins and then import the audio files into DP 4.61.

I still find DP 3.1.1 an excellent MIDI/audio programme.

Incidentally, I would "burn" a copy of the updated pci-324 driver just in case MOTO.com removes it from their downloads.
Renaissance Man

Post by Renaissance Man »

citadelmusic,
As a word or encouragement, I started out with a Apple Power Mac G4 'Gigabit Ethernet Mystic' w/ 896MB ram & DP 2.something (2.7 if memory serves). Eventually I updated and was running OS9.2 & DP3.1.1 on that machine with good success. Looking for more processor muscle, I then bought a new Apple Power Mac G4 'Mirror Door' w/ dual 1.25 processors and 2GB ram. To this day I••™m still running DP3.1.1 on the Mirror Door with OS9.2 & Waves Diamond Bundle. Even with 50, 60 or even 70 track projects w/ Waves Renaissance Comps & reverbs etc. running it••˜s very solid. The only problems I••™ve experienced is when ••œdancing too close to the edge••
midiw

Post by midiw »

Renaissance Man,

Excellent post.

You're right, citadelmusic, has a Mac with room for expansion.

For example, adding RAM to the max and additional internal hard drives.

I've taken a look at specs for citadelmusic's Mac using Mactracker ( www.mactracker.ca ) and if I was looking at the correct model he can bump up the RAM to 1.5G for OS 9 or 2G for running OS X. There is room for 4 internal drives.

Today RAM and internal drives are relatively inexpensive even if you get it done. These days, I go to a local PC/Mac repair shop rather then using Apple's service centres. Those Apple service centers are a huge rip off.

You also made a good comment about upgrading to DP 5. I have the same concerns so I will stay with 4.66.
citadelmusic

Post by citadelmusic »

Thanks you guys very much and to corroborate, I have burned every single update necessary for this entire ordeal. It would be nice to depend on the longevity of integrity w/ these companies but that is not realistic thinking for them or me. I burned the DP, Mac OS, PCI 324, MAS, and even the stuffit updates. I think if I have a total crash I can retrieve my current system independently thanks to your help.

I appreciate the words of encouragement Renaissance man. I'm going to see how well my system runs @ 512 mb w/ a single processor and if I have issues I now know I also have options. I'm printing all of this out for future reference.

I do have a quick and easy question. When I updated DP it said to copy the help file. Do they mean to replace (trash) the old one?
midiw

Post by midiw »

citadelmusic,

Many times I even burn copies of the copies. Burning copies becomes very important to maintain copies of OS 9 software we still use since OS 9 is moving further and further away from the most commonly used OS.

Incidently, if you are thinking of changing your processor from a single to a dual my experience doing that has cost me monies and it was monies wasted. For me, I was better off hunting down a used G4 which I bought at a local used PC/Mac shop. The prices for used Mac's are very reasonable. Monies spent on RAM is well worth it.

Finally, to get to your question, yes, just place the "new" help file in the same folder as the DP application but first trash the old one.

Good to hear from you and that DP 3.1.1 is working well for you.
citadelmusic

Post by citadelmusic »

midiw,

Will do, thanks again for all the help.