MSI for MacIntel - we are NOT waiting for iLok driver!

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

papageno
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MSI for MacIntel - we are NOT waiting for iLok driver!

Post by papageno »

Some time ago user meeloo said in this forum that the reason MSI is not MacIntel native yet is that MOTU is waiting for MacIntel compatible iLok driver from PACE. So the info was that we are actually waiting for PACE and not for MOTU.
I dare to say that this info is wrong.

Why?

Because iLok driver 5.3.3 got installed to my MacBook pro and MSI 1.1.1 starts up and plays back. Tried it as a standalone with Finale 2006d.
When MSI starts up then the presence of iLok key with valid authorization is verified. After that iLok can be taken out of USB port until the next startup of MSI. iLok driver is NOT a plugin to MSI! In case of plugins, the following is true: the plugin cannot run on Rosetta while the host application is running on native Intel code. This is not the case with MSI and iLok driver.

BTW. On my 2.0GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM and 7200rpm internal HD, I got even convolution reverb running. Of course I am only using a few instruments now.

So meeloo, I ask again... wher does your info come from? It doesnt seem to be very reliable.
+372 56222285
hugy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hugy »

Hi,

Just like other application, PACE application can be run trough rosetta.
That's the reason why MSI works in StandAlone.
The whole process line is PPC so Rosetta works.

In order to use MSI in a MacIntel without Rosetta, all application parts should have an intel version, which was lacking the PACE part (MSI too in fact)

MOTU Ethno will be released in Universal Binary, so I don't think we will have to wait long for MSI to be updated.

New macIntel are very powerfull that's why it's running great even trough rosetta.

my 2 cents,
papageno

Post by papageno »

hugy wrote:That's the reason why MSI works in StandAlone.
The whole process line is PPC so Rosetta works.
In order to use MSI in a MacIntel without Rosetta, all application parts should have an intel version, which was lacking the PACE part (MSI too in fact)
But PACE driver is NOT a part of MSI nor is it MSI plugin. I see no logic there.
I have talked to some sw developers and they verify: a host application and a plugin have to run on same code. PACE driver is meant to work with several applications, it is not a plug-in.
Apps running on Rosetta can make system calls and can interact with other apps which run on Intel code. There is no case of Host-Plugin with MSI and PACE.
+372 56222285
meeloo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by meeloo »

papageno,

Let me explain how things work:

PACE have yet to release a working version of the iLok protection system that works natively on Intel Macs. For the moment you can use iLok protected PPC applications on both PPC and Intel Macs. However, there is NO way to create an iLok protection that works for Native Intel binaries. (and this is also true for Universal Binaries, i.e. software that works natively on both platform with only one binary file).
PACE is still beta testing their solution for UB protection. The latest word on this is that it should come anytime soon as they still have one problem to fix: the work they did do make working UB support have broken 10.3.9 support! Once there is a final toolkit from PACE that permits to work with UBs without compromising the Panther support, I'm pretty sure you'll see MSI 1.x working natively on Intel Macs.

Cheers,

MeeLoo
papageno

Pace has UB drivers now!

Post by papageno »

So lets see now. Pace has Universal Binary drivers ready, announcment has been made on May 15.
IF Motu was waiting for PACE drivers (for now I really do hope that Meelo is right!) then MSI UB version should be out very soon.
+372 56222285