MSI Ranges

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

lamboguy wrote:For the $$, SI is amazing.

As for the ranges, if I need a note outside a given range I just use a pitchbend for that note or passage

Cheers,

Fred

Also, note that there are often other instrument choices that provide the increased range. For example, Oboe 1 only goes up to C, but Oboe 2 goes up to E above that. From there, you can get to F or F# with the pitch bend. Yeah, it sucks to run a 2nd oboe just for one or two notes, and it sucks more to use pitch bend for the highest note, but it still is a workable workaround. Same for Trumpet and many other instruments.

Although I certainly acknowledge MSI's shortcomings, I'm not as critical of it as some around here are. I find it to be very useful, and extremely good for the cost. Instruments that sound and work better cost generally a lot more.

I'm quite pleased with it, and I've been enjoying making music. I do wish more attention was paid to details like ranges and attacks. The clarinet sounds are almost unusable for any but slow passages because of the attacks in the lower registers. Forget any 16th note passages. All the clarinets are like that in MSI. Very unfortunate. The player was doing a slow articulation, thinking of the sustained sound, not the attack.

Looking forward to hearing more people's examples. Let's let the music do the talking for us, ok?

Shooshie

PS: yeah, I know... Post something, Shooshie. ;) Ok... I will. In time.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buddhabelly
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by buddhabelly »

MSI is simply the bomb for me. It gives me access to sounds that normally I'd not explore. The ranges are good for me, as I've had limited experience scoring for orchestral arrangements. But damn, I've had a pretty good time doing it.
papageno

Post by papageno »

Shooshie wrote:For example, Oboe 1 only goes up to C, but Oboe 2 goes up to E above that. From there, you can get to F or F# with the pitch bend. Yeah, it sucks to run a 2nd oboe just for one or two notes, and it sucks more to use pitch bend for the highest note, but it still is a workable workaround. Same for Trumpet and many other instruments.
Seems that you are working with sequencer.
I am a professional composer working with notation porgram (Finale). In this case the pitch bend is out of the question.
And btw. where is the lowest part of oboe? B and B flat for example. As a professional composer, dealing with professional players playing with modern instruments one finds range problems in more than 1/2 of instruments.

MSI is advertised as a tool for professional composers. So the problem is quite serious and foe users of notation applications there is no real workaround.
+372 56222285
anders koppel

Post by anders koppel »

There is no question about it: Papageno is right. For serious composing, MSI is useless. Sorry about it, MOTU. You were so close, and yet...
myronman

Ditto

Post by myronman »

anders koppel wrote:No, the ranges are not correct. F.i.: bassoon goes as high as E, MSI only goes to C. Oboe goes as high as A, MSI only goes to C.
Same for Cello, I wrote a piece that had a solo cello playing F5 and it won't play. I have had to splice in solo violin to get in that range.

Cellos can play F5, Symphonic instrument cannot.
Myron D Parks