Logic and Digital Performer

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
artfarm1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by artfarm1 »

It is the 'Sound-off' column, so....

There is always the 'Freeze tracks' function!.....or, other options...other ways of solving any problems....and other opinions, as always.

I'm using a Mac Dual 867 and having no big issues other than running out of processing power once in awhile when I'm pushing it....like using Mach 5 and Stylus RMX at the same time with Waves and other plug-ins, etc.

I just finished a 24-bit mix with over 30 mono audio tracks, 24 stereo tracks....but not all running at the same time, mind you.....with EQ's, delays, etc. on many of my inserts and aux channels....some tracks had their own inserts if not using an aux channel with other 'like' instruments.

I'll switch buffers from 512 to 1024 depending on whether I'm recording or mixing. I've never had to go lower than 512, and I'm very picky.

But, bottom line is, DP works great and always does what I want it to do!

I used Logic for two years when OSX first came out, and I hated the sound and illogic of Logic...DP sounds better! That was a dark period of my life.

Also, my belief (and how to keep myself in check) is that if I have to have 100 tracks running with a million plug-ins, then I'm doing something wrong and don't have a definite idea of where I'm going in my musical concept.

I mean, really! Do you need 100 stereo tracks, 12 virtual instruments, everything looped, etc, etc.??? It should humble us that most of the greatest musical concepts in history have been captured with either stereo, 4-track, 8-track, or 24-track with minimal processing.

Depends on your musical influences, of course. I like electronics and samplers and all the luxuries of modern composing and am completely dependent on my Mach 5 and sound libraries, but we can get too carried away with the whole 'trying to run every plug-in under the sun' mentality.

I'll settle for rendering tracks, freezing, bouncing, whatever it takes...otherwise, again my humble opinion....

I'll get a more powerful computer someday, but I believe in using 'solid trailing edge technology' in order to stay creative and only get something new if I can't live without it, or can't achieve my musical goals without having a certain plug-in.

Thanks for checking out my '2-cents'.....Cam Millar
matwell

Post by matwell »

artfarm1 wrote:...Also, my belief (and how to keep myself in check) is that if I have to have 100 tracks running with a million plug-ins, then I'm doing something wrong and don't have a definite idea of where I'm going in my musical concept.

I mean, really! Do you need 100 stereo tracks, 12 virtual instruments, everything looped, etc, etc.??? It should humble us that most of the greatest musical concepts in history have been captured with either stereo, 4-track, 8-track, or 24-track with minimal processing....
Yes, we need 12 virtual instruments! We need a lot more than 12 virtual instruments! Trying to justify why DP is such a processor hog by basically saying "don't use too many tracks/VI's/plug-ins" is one of the worst concepts I've ever heard.

In general, DAW's usually improve because of comparison and competition. DP has some amazing features, some of the best in the industry. No one is claiming otherwise. But when it comes to CPU efficiency and VI implementation, when you compare DP to Logic (or Pro Tools for that matter), DP needs some work. MOTU needs to be made aware of this, if they aren't already. I think they are, since DP 5 seems to be a slight improvement. The solution isn't to tell people not to push their systems too hard though! If the world worked like that, we'd still be living in caves.
Quad G5 - 4GB RAM; PB 17" 1.5 GHz - 1GB RAM; OS 10.4.8, DP 5.11, Digi 002R, Mbox, Pro Tools LE 7.1, DV Toolkit 2, Music Production Toolkit, MachFive, NI Komplete2, EWQLSO GOLD, MemoryMoog Plus
Pedwin

Re: Logic and Digital Performer

Post by Pedwin »

newrigel wrote:You'd still have to pry DP from my cold dead fingers!
I feel a DAW is like a first lover... you just get into to it and you can't let it go hehe!
Yep, that's why I'm afraid of losing my heart to one of those apps before I feel I can relay on one of them. :wink:
Why is everything so complicated since Atari and Cubase made it easzy for me to start my first steps in recording? Now, the time has come for me to start one again and I don't know which way to go. Tried Logic 3.5. on PC which crashed many times. Now I have a G4 and all the other h-ware that I bought 3 years ago but never used it, and I still feel like Alice in Wonderland at a crossroad not knowing which way to go. In two months I will start with DP for the 1st time. And this time which is quiet a risk for me, as in my area most people use Logic or Cubase, so I will not be able to ask for help. Hope you guys will guide me through the first starting problems. :wink:

Cheers,
Pedwin
lane_hagood
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

newer and slower

Post by lane_hagood »

:x
i agree totally with you mothra. i was using protools le 5.1 on a power mac 500. it ran with less cpu fatigue than audio desk does on my imac g5 1.9. both with a gig of ram.