Setting up a 5.1 w MOTU

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

tingkumajique
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Setting up a 5.1 w MOTU

Post by tingkumajique »

Hi all,

I was just thinking just now, how would i be able to set up a 5.1 monitoring system with my MOTU Traveler.

okay, this is coz i've never done this before.

I guess it's all about routing which signal to which output. but what about crossover frequencies? how would i be able to route the lower frequencies to my sub output?

or if in DP, i create a channel for lower frequencies, how should i find content to place in it?

And what about regular 5.1 playback on apple applications? Audio MIDI Setup allows you to have a 5.1 config, but does it also act as a crossover for the lower frequencies?

thanks... trying to pick up 5.1.
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

The surround tools are all available in DP. Outputs are set up in Audio Bundles, and then your content can be controlled and sent to whichever position using the surround panners and bass management tools. It's all in the manual. DP comes with a great set of surround plugs.

I use a Traveler to output to my Genelec 5.1 monitors, but I would also recommend inserting a monitor controller ( I use the SPL model 2380 ) in the chain.

Stephen
tingkumajique

Post by tingkumajique »

cool... will check that out...

but howabout regular 5.1 applications on the mac like playing DVDs? will AMS do the frequency crossovers then?
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

as stephen said...without a monitor controller, you'll have to use dp's master fader as your monitor out volume. it does work, but it's not ideal.
it's a shame motu won't allow you to gang the outputs to the monitor level knob like the tascam fw1884, or focusrite saffire...it's the one single thing i don't like about the traveler :)

kell
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.