Anyone using MSI for other styles of music?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

wvandyck
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone using MSI for other styles of music?

Post by wvandyck »

Would the brass, sax, and wind sounds be suitable for something like jazz, old Chicago (the band), and Motown styles of music?

I liked the sound of the demos online.
I don't need to create the illusion of a real orchestra. However, lamboguy's demo has inspired me to be a better reader.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
alexff

Post by alexff »

Well, i use some of the brass sounds for mellow parts in slow R&B - Jill Scott type stuff. The Trumpets work very well for this. If you really want some jazz type brass libraries, there are better options than the MSI, though the names escape me.

Hit google.
Macbook, Leopard 10.5.1, Logic 8.01, MOTU Traveler.
---------------------
http://www.smoothbeatsonly.com
philcastillo

Post by philcastillo »

I think the SI brass sounds better in larger settings and would be a little exposed in Chicagoesque stuff. I would check out SAM Trombones for some great sounding trombone.
DPusers.com - get listed!
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Many thanks for the responses!
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Big Fish Audio First Call Horns www.bigfishaudio.com

SAM Orchestral Brass http://www.projectsam.com/libraries_ext_04.html
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

I use the MSI and I certainly wouldn't call my music classical or necessarily orchestral. Your use of sounds is limited by your imagination.... don't wait for permission to use it! :wink:
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

funkyfreddy wrote:I use the MSI and I certainly wouldn't call my music classical or necessarily orchestral. Your use of sounds is limited by your imagination.... don't wait for permission to use it! :wink:
Appreciate your tip.

I guess my original question should have been: "I don't want to buy a bunch of libraries (a lie 8) ), so how far can I push a given collection of samples?"

MSI is at the top of my list because I think I can get a lot of non-orchestral uses out it.
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

i'm actually having a ball with it, tweaking envelopes and whatnot to make much more "fake" sounds :) for instance, cellos that sound kinda like fake clarinets, but smooother....
decided for the sake of experimentation to use it in the current mellow electropop thing i'm working on...and it's working out better than i had imagined.

kell
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

kelldammit wrote:i'm actually having a ball with it, tweaking envelopes and whatnot to make much more "fake" sounds :)
kell
I'm looking forward to using it for somewhat realistic voicing (i.e. Eleanor Rigby, I am the Walrus, Motown, etc), and of course..."pushing the envelope".8)

I recently ordered a Godin three voice guitar. I'll break it in with MSI.
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

they seem pretty real to me...i'm not too sure about jazz sax or anything, though.
i nearly always end up bumping up the the decay just a hair, particularly on the strings...i tend to like things a bit more legato than the defaults are.
i have a project waiting in the wings that will use the "real" sounds pretty thoroughly, though on the current project a few got through pretty much unmolested...anyway, gotta finish up this project first! i can't wait!
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

kelldammit wrote:they seem pretty real to me...i'm not too sure about jazz sax or anything, though.
Your input has been helpful. 8)

The Godin came in 6 weeks ahead of time. So...
I'll post some impressions of MSI in the next few weeks.