Performance Contract Samples?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Performance Contract Samples?

Post by James Steele »

Hey all... I may have an opportunity to perform at a festival event in the Midwest. Can anyone recommend a source for sample contracts and what I should reasonably expect the promoter to cover. I'm going to have to get the gear out there, a couple crew guys, airfare for other band members and at least one night's accommodations for a band. This is the first year of this event and I'm trying to be reasonable and make it fly, I just don't want to underplan and end up in the hole afterward.

Any thoughts as to what expenses to plan for and also where can I find a sample contract that I can customize for myself?

Thanks!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
PSPartyband
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by PSPartyband »

hi James

My advice is to travel as light as possible. get the sound company to provide as much of your gear as you can. put together a detailed rider of what you want, specifying your gear, and set up, everything in detail, even brand names. they won't necessarily be able to accommodate you completely but at least they know what you want, and will ask if they have to substitute anything.

If you can travel with only your axe and fx, you can carry that on the plane, then you don't have to worry about them loosing anything.

be specific about hotel accommodations, don't let them put you in some cheap dump miles from the gig. whenever I can I try to get them to rent us a 3 bedroom condo so we can all stay together. and then you have a kitchen too, which is nice if you are going to be there for a few days

you will need transportation once you get there. try to get them to rent you a car big enough for the whole band to ride together, and include gas cost into it. It is important to me to know where all my band members are at all times, if everyone stays together, no one gets lost

meals are expensive when you have to feed the whole band. they will need to eat en route to the gig, the day of the gig and on the way home, that's 3 meals a day, figure that in.

as far as contracts go, I have been using a program called "Gigmaster" which has pre made contracts. but there are many others on the web

Hope this helps!
Don
Mac Pro, 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB ram, Snow Leopard, 10.6.7, DP 7.22, Logic Studio 9, Motu 896HD (Black Lion mod), coffee pot.