attaching cc hardware faders to parameters

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

dubwon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

attaching cc hardware faders to parameters

Post by dubwon »

can you attach a fader or knob from a hardware MIDI control box to a parameter in a unisyn profile? is it pretty much the same process as attaching a fader to a mixer channel in DP4?

would a custom console in DP be pretty much the same thing as a profile in unisyn?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

To my knowledge, it is not possible to edit instrument profiles in any way. Unisyn is one of the biggest dissapointments I have ever encountered, and if you read some of the other comments in this forum I think you will see that I am not alone.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
dubwon

Post by dubwon »

i should clarify as i misspoke--i don't want to change the profile, just attach a hardware controller to a parameter just like in DP's mixer.

if unisyn is that bad is there a good alternative for OSX?
MidiQuest?
Sounddiver?
robMartin

Post by robMartin »

Check out the Peavey 1600 - I configured various templates for it to control a few critical params for various synths. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too difficult, and having real sliders and buttons makes a huge difference.

Also, cutom consoles are very cool for tweaking synth params with sysex or controller messages. Don't try to write a complete editor! Just identify the critical params for your synth that give you the most control over the sound - like filter cutoffs etc - and keep it simple. Once you've implemented the console, you can define an arbitrary set of controllers to affect the sliders/knobs etc, and add a MIDI track to the sequence to automate the param changes.

If you search with Google, you'll find various templates already 'out there' - they're good for 'sample code' to help you get started.