OMF imports stereo as dual mono...

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

OMF imports stereo as dual mono...

Post by martian »

I want to use DP to mix a project I edited in protools

there are a billion clips per reel...

all the stereo cues are coming into DP as dual mono....

anyway around this as it's very annoying to have to move 2 faders...

thanks

sorry posted in the main forum forgot about this one....
mhayesmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mhayesmusic »

No there is no workaround for this OMFs have always done this. Even when Avid Vid editors make OMFs for the audio post guys. It is always dual mono. My only suggestion is to make a strereo track and move both mono tracks audio files and drag them down to the stereo track TOGETHER. This is what I do to get around this or keep it mono and group the faders. All applications that translate and open OMFs always do dual mono. I have made OMFs in DP and opened them in Avid and ProTools, still makes two mono. I agree kind of a hassle, but, what did you expect from a digidesign product?? :wink:

MH
DP 4,G4 DP 1.25 ghz, 1 gig ram,2408 mkI, MTP AV, Reason, Mach Five, iDrum, SoundSoap, Garritan Personal Orchestra,Ptools LE Mbox, Korg Triton, Oxygen 8, M-Audio Pro88 Controller, S4 Plus, FCP,DVD SP and many other goodies with pretty lights
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

thanks for your reply

pretty sure I tried that... that's a standard protools feature... I'm only in 4.12 tho... is it an upgrade thing?

Actually when I went back to try again I had a very weird error...

can hear sound but can't see clips in either the sequence window or or the tracks window

only window with waveforms visible is the soundbites window.....

gulp....

Did you see that DIgi are trying to charge US$500 just to take LE up to 48 tracks??

I already bought half the plugins on offer when I upgraded to version 7!!!

any insights greatly appreciated!

thanks

Mart
mhayesmusic

Post by mhayesmusic »

Sorry, I forgot. I too am in DP4.12. You cant do that , its what I was doing in PTools. There you can take 2 monos and move it to stereo. That would be cool if you could do that in the upgrade. Unless I am forgetting how to do it. I tried the move but it would not go. Maybe its in a different window, I'll investigate. Yeah, I heard about the price of the Digi LE upgrade. No way, aint doing it. Just like the time code option. DV toolkit - opens OMFs and has timecode option in PTools- $1000 smackers. DP... timcode right out of the box baby!!!!!!! sync to picture and all. Digi.... what a bunch of monopoly criminals!!! and avid too!!! I cant bring myself to PT7 yet.... I hear of way too many bugs.... They rushed it for AES show... they even admit it
DP 4,G4 DP 1.25 ghz, 1 gig ram,2408 mkI, MTP AV, Reason, Mach Five, iDrum, SoundSoap, Garritan Personal Orchestra,Ptools LE Mbox, Korg Triton, Oxygen 8, M-Audio Pro88 Controller, S4 Plus, FCP,DVD SP and many other goodies with pretty lights
njwaldron

Post by njwaldron »

I use OMFs all the time, and I usually just group the tracks.
SO Far So Good SOO What!!