View filters and track folders

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

View filters and track folders

Post by Chris T »

I'm trying to program some view filters in order to quickly jump between viewing different track types.

Does anyone know if there's a way (in DP, or via a KB Maestro macro perhaps) to show only MIDI tracks which are assigned to an ENABLED VI or VEPro plugin. This way I can view only the MIDI tracks that are "enabled", or "in play". Selecting "Show MIDI Tracks" is not useful for me, and "Show Enabled Tracks" only shows Audio or the actual VI tracks. "Show Play Enabled Tracks" is also not useful since I like to have all my MIDI tracks Play-enabled anyway.

Once I do the above I could then save these different options as "Track Layouts" and open / save corresponding MIXER window layouts. This would speed up my workflow immensely.

Thanks,
CT
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: View filters and track folders

Post by Michael Canavan »

when you say enabled I'm thinking you mean literally whether the track Instruments and FX are turned off or not, not the record enable state or whether the track is muted. There is no command to show only (CPU) enabled tracks that I know of.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Isn’t there a command to show only tracks with data? That might be a start.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Yes there is however the various View filter options seem to just reset the previous one: I.e. say you choose "View only soundbites and notes", then choose "View Audio tracks", the latter command will reset the first command. Unless I'm mistaken, there doesn't seem to be a way to select "View only soundbites and notes", and THEN sub-filter it again to select "View Audio Files" from that sub-selection. That would be magic if doable...
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
Michael Canavan

One trick you that might help is to mute tracks that you've disabled then you can use the play enable state to filter out whatever tracks are muted. One advantage of the universal Solo button here is not having to reset it to bounce around this way, at least until you're in the mix stage. obviously also would work with any track.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Oh and show/hide disabled tracks is a good suggestion for MOTU, might as well hit em up!
https://motu.com/en-us/suggestions/

I still want a lock for Track settings for each edit window as well.
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

I just figured out a good workaround for this. I'm sure many do this already but it's new to me. Any further comments or suggestions welcomed:

1). Select whichever tracks (in Track Window) that you want to see. MIDI, Audio, Master, Verbs, etc.

2). Shift-Select all those tracks. Hit shift-M to open MIXING board (assigned for those viewable tracks only).

3). Go to main View Menu / Save Track Layout As... "xxxx"
Then when you select that track layout, you'll get the desired tracks viewable ONLY. This will open any relevant closed folders and make them viewable.

4). You need to do an extra step to view the Mixing board. Shift-M. Whatever it opens as (probably last selected mixing board), make sure Mixer windwow is selected on screen. Go to View / Board Layout (Select same as Track Layout).
Then Mixer board layout will correspond to exactly selected Tracks in Track view layout.