Building an External Music Studio Building

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
pacificm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Building an External Music Studio Building

Post by pacificm »

I've been using a room in my basement for as long as I can remember as my home studio. It's sufficient, but also limited. Plus, I don't like disturbing my wife with the sounds composers and musicians can make. I have an opportunity to possibly build a studio building in my backyard - roughly the same size as my home studio - about 160 sq. ft. I keep getting referred to the shed building companies out there for a cheap way to acquire a simple framed structure. There are also some fairly nice artsy structures out there at some pretty steep prices. Any suggestions on building a decent music studio in your backyard? Thanks!
1) iMac (2020, 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel i7) OS X 10.15.7, 72 GB RAM
2) iMac Quad Core (Late 2015, 4GHz Intel Core i7) OS X 10.15.7, 32 GB RAM,
3) Mac Pro (Late 2013, 6.5 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon E5) OS X 10.15.7, 64 GB RAM

Software: DP 10.13, FCPX, VSL Chamber Strings, Vienna Suite, Ensemble Pro 5, MIR Pro | Ivory | Stylus RMX, Trillian, Omnisphere 2 | Samplemodeling Trumpet, Flutes & Saxes | EZ Drummer 2 | BFD3 | East West | MOTU UltraLite Mk3
stubbsonic

Re: Building an External Music Studio Building

Post by stubbsonic »

Do you have to worry about keeping sound in and keeping sound out?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

My immediate thoughts:

1. If at all possible, build something bigger than 160SF

2. Whatever the size, use dimensions that avoid stacking of room modes. http://www.mcsquared.com/modecalc.htm

3. If acoustic isolation ("soundproofing") is important in either direction (to acoustically protect the neighbors from you or vice-versa) walls will need to be substantial AND the need for low-frequency absorption inside the structure will be increased, meaning your structure's footprint will be eroded from a useable space perspective.

Illustrating this point: my son rented a room in a terrible old house with cardboard-like walls that were essentially acoustically transparent for low frequencies. His drum recordings made in that fairly small room were excellent, as low-end energy did not build up in the room; it passed right thru the thin walls. That same room with heavy, rigid walls would have required extensive internal acoustical treatment to sound as good. When he moved to a more normally-constructed house, my son had to build and hang a bunch of acoustic panels to get the same quality of sound.

I've had a separate space on site for many years now. It is very liberating from a creative perspective to have a dedicated room, physically removed from one's home, where working at all hours is possible. But it can be an expensive proposition, with cost tempered by the amount of construction you can do yourself. If you are capable of doing at least some of the work, I expect you will find the project quite rewarding. I certainly did!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I taught music in a cube-shaped space, and was able to improve the standing-wave problems by using large plywood panels at various angles. So if your budget requires a simpler structure with parallel walls, it's not the end of the world. The hardest/most-expensive part is isolation, so you'll just have to decide which aspects get you the most bang for your buck,

My home studio is about 10 X 14. I'm a multi-instrumentalist with bad G.A.S. (and gas); so it's pretty "hoardery" and feels cramped. I can't really track in here. When I've done vocals I have to put up LOTS of temporary quilts on mic-stands, etc., to absorb the wall reflections and it's not very comfortable. So I rarely track here anymore. But the speaker sound in here is fine.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Here's a plan view of the studio I built in 2014 along with a couple photos.
Floor_Plan-Electrical.png
Floor_Plan-Electrical.png (193.13 KiB) Viewed 247 times
Attachments
Exterior.JPG
Exterior.JPG (571.31 KiB) Viewed 247 times
Interior-101716.JPG
Interior-101716.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 247 times
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

That's so lovely, Rick.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:37 am That's so lovely, Rick.
Thanks! (Old interior photo before I got a bigger monitor and Mac Studio.)

(Cost was about $30k, which included the cost of trenching in clean power from the pole.)
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

How much of the construction did you do?
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I didn't do any of the construction, but I did lay carpet, etc.

Also, I learned it's cheaper to do the interior walls and ceiling with prefinished tongue-and-groove pine than to do drywall (by the time you do tape/mud/paint), so I saved some dough there.
Rick Cornish

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Rick Cornish wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:54 am I didn't do any of the construction, but I did lay carpet, etc.

Also, I learned it's cheaper to do the interior walls and ceiling with prefinished tongue-and-groove pine than to do drywall (by the time you do tape/mud/paint), so I saved some dough there.
It all looks really nice. Your location (with woods in the background) doesn't appear to demand a lot of acoustic isolation, which makes things easier. Drywall would provide superior isolation, but if you don't need it, who cares?
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 am Your location (with woods in the background) doesn't appear to demand a lot of acoustic isolation, which makes things easier. Drywall would provide superior isolation, but if you don't need it, who cares?
Unless you're doing 2-layers of drywall plus high-density fiberglass in the wall cavity, drywall won't do much for isolation.

Yes—my nearest neighbor is nearly a mile away. But I'm not sure I would have done it much differently if there was a neighbor 50' away. Of course, if you're tracking gangsta rap and want to monitor north of 90dB, you'll need to do more.
Rick Cornish

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Rick Cornish wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:19 am
HCMarkus wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 am Your location (with woods in the background) doesn't appear to demand a lot of acoustic isolation, which makes things easier. Drywall would provide superior isolation, but if you don't need it, who cares?
Unless you're doing 2-layers of drywall plus high-density fiberglass in the wall cavity, drywall won't do much for isolation.

Yes—my nearest neighbor is nearly a mile away. But I'm not sure I would have done it much differently if there was a neighbor 50' away. Of course, if you're tracking gangsta rap and want to monitor north of 90dB, you'll need to do more.
My neighbors aren't super close (I live on an acre), but their distance is not of the magnitude one would typically measure in miles. I did two layers of 5/8" hanging off resilient (not hat) channel, plus 6" loose glass between studs, plus drywall/wood sheathing and stucco exterior. I had to do a lot of bass trapping on the inside. The hidden downside of rigid walls. I put much of my bass trapping at ceiling/wall junction to minimize intrusion into floor space.

It is very quiet.

No, I don't do much rap stuff, but those dang guitarists like to crank their amps... and the drummers seem to have a hard time turning their drums down. :wink: