828 mk3 Hybrid- Constant issues with Sonoma..

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
gondola
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828 mk3 Hybrid- Constant issues with Sonoma..

Post by gondola »

Hi guys,

Im using an 828 mk3 via USB to my mac mini m2 pro, running Sonoma 14.4.1. & Logic pro 10.8.1
Kernel extensions & lower security enabled on mac.

Since getting the M2 i have had nothing but issues, the 828 being just one:
MOTU driver regularly crashes Logic & the Mac (sometimes when the 828 isnt on)
Crackles / pops in mix bounces
Warnings about incompatibility between macos & Motu
Half the time logic doesnt recognise 828 when booting the interface.
Totally out of sync when first booting the 828 and playing in Logic.
Some instances of Sonoma i could control the volume of 828 with the keyboard, now that seems to have gone.

Absolutely no problems on my old intel machine.
I know some producers using exactly the same 828 & driver in ventura without any issues (whether thats coincidence idk)

Things i've tried/ trying are:
Disconnecting any other USB from the Mac
Different USB ports
Connecting the monitor via HDMI not USB

Support dont have a fix and taking weeks to come back every time.
Would love to hear if anyone else had similar issues and found a fix?
Cheers
mikehalloran

Re: 828 mk3 Hybrid- Constant issues with Sonoma..

Post by mikehalloran »

Try removing all of the MOTU driver files from your system. MOTU should have given you the list. If not there are older threads.

Install the 828 driver only:
MOTU Audio Installer
Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021
macOS 14, macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11
See if you still have a problem.

The M2 does not require the MOTU driver unless you need to enable Loopback. In any case, if it works without the M2/4/6 driver, that's something you can report back to Support.

Before I sold my M2, I had no conflict between it and my 828mkII using that same MOTU Audio Installer I posted above over Sonoma 14.3. I never installed the M2 driver.

Yhere is a communication layer bug in macOS 14.4/14.41 that will be resolved in 14.5 but I have no idea if that is affecting the MOTU drivers other than I am not seeing problems here.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gondola

Post by gondola »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.
Ive deleted everything except for - MOTU MIDI driver.kext- which couldn't be found.
Reinstalled just the audio installer- which is the only thing i ever do install when trying to reinstall for the 828. Not sure what the "driver" is then? Sorry if i said "driver" and confused matters.
However, this what ive done already when installing everything fresh on this new M2 computer, and from there had issues mentioned.
Will monitor but cant see how this is going to be a fix..
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

gondola wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:29 am Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.
Ive deleted everything except for - MOTU MIDI driver.kext- which couldn't be found.
Reinstalled just the audio installer- which is the only thing i ever do install when trying to reinstall for the 828. Not sure what the "driver" is then? Sorry if i said "driver" and confused matters.
However, this what ive done already when installing everything fresh on this new M2 computer, and from there had issues mentioned.
Will monitor but cant see how this is going to be a fix..
People have this running. The drivers do work. Apple has made it a bit of a pain to install them properly, however.

It's possible that your Mac may not be set up to allow third party extensions. If you do not have Reduced Security enabled, the drivers will not load properly. Read this to see if it applies.

https://macsupport.tuxera.com/hc/en-gb/ ... based-Macs

Once that is done and you have run the MOTU Audio Installer, the following must be done within 30 minutes of installation.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... igh-sierra

If that doesn't do it, schedule a support call from MOTU. They can screen share and check the Activity Monitor for conflicting extensions that will need to be removed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gondola

Post by gondola »

Hi Mike,
Reduced security on already.
And i dont get any message in privacy & security needing me to allow the extension after installing the motu audio installer.
Will try schedule a call with support as suggested....
Thanks for your replies
mb-3000

Post by mb-3000 »

Hi,

I have had similar issues with my Ultralite MK3, just with kext installed and 14.4.x

Worked fine with the same driver on 13.x MacOS

It works ok on my M2 but when I upgraded my intel MBP 16 to 14.4.1 and tried the ultralite connected to a USB port the machine bricked itself and fried the logic board. I have noted this with Motu support and have heard nothing back once I gave them the full details they asked for weeks ago.

It seems 14.4.x MacOS and the Kext from MOTU are not very good combination.