Cursor Hand Goes Missing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Aaron Guidry
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cursor Hand Goes Missing

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Has anyone had this issue:

The cursor hand that pops up when dragging MIDI notes or dragging WAVs longer or shorter randomly goes missing. I can still see the arrow and the plus, but the little hand that should pop up when making MIDI or WAVs longer or shorter just goes away. I've tried toggling the Pointer Tool, the I-Beam Tool, and the Pencil Tool, but nothing seems to get the little hand back once it's gone other than quitting DP and restarting, and even that sometimes doesn't do the trick. Anyone experience this, and if so, how did you fix it?
DP 11.31, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
mikehalloran

Re: Cursor Hand Goes Missing

Post by mikehalloran »

I had that happen yesterday. Rebooting my Mac made it come back.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

Aaron Guidry wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 am Has anyone had this issue:

The cursor hand that pops up when dragging MIDI notes or dragging WAVs longer or shorter randomly goes missing. I can still see the arrow and the plus, but the little hand that should pop up when making MIDI or WAVs longer or shorter just goes away. I've tried toggling the Pointer Tool, the I-Beam Tool, and the Pencil Tool, but nothing seems to get the little hand back once it's gone other than quitting DP and restarting, and even that sometimes doesn't do the trick. Anyone experience this, and if so, how did you fix it?
This sounds similar to my situation. All tools stop appearing after a few minutes of working in DP. The tool behavior is there, but I only see a generic pointer. Restarting brings them back usually, but it happens so often I don’t even bother at this point. I’ve actually learned to work without seeing pallet tools or smart tools.

Needless to say, this is a major PIA and really slows me down. I’ve tried everything I can think of to fix it. Tech-support is stumped, as are many of the wise people on this forum. Your issue sounds very similar. Please let me know if you find a solution. I’d love to be able to see the tools again :(
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I get the occasional stuck tool, but a little moving around seems to quickly restore normal performance.

So strange how different, yet similar, systems demonstrate such disparate flaws.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I've been experiencing some cursor weirdness, since going to v11.3, as well.

Specifically, the cursor stops changing to the little bracket icons when trimming audio in the Sequence Editor. Sometimes, clicking off of DP (like on the Finder desktop) and then coming back to DP fixes it.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
dix

Post by dix »

Clicking off DP into the Finder or another app has no effect on my issue. The tools will come back randomly sometimes, but I can't figure out why.

I did notice yesterday that I can always invoke the Cursor tool, even when no other tools are showing up. The little arrows you get when resizing windows also are immune to the problem. ...maybe because the pointer, the cursor and the resizing arrows' icons are part of the MacOS system, and not installed by DP, they are unaffected? The little arrows for resizing tracks in the SE do disappear however - which is arguably the most disruptive aspect of this problem. not having those makes life very difficult :(
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yet another AS problem? Not happening here.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

bayswater wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:31 pm Yet another AS problem? Not happening here.
I’m sure it’s not. Until the OP posted I thought I was the only one that had the problem. And I still may be the only user for whom it happens consistently.

Yes, I’m on an AS Mac, but since it’s such an isolated issue, categorizing it as an “AS problem” wouldn’t be accurate
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dix wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:16 pm
bayswater wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:31 pm Yet another AS problem? Not happening here.
I’m sure it’s not. Until the OP posted I thought I was the only one that had the problem. And I still may be the only user for whom it happens consistently.

Yes, I’m on an AS Mac, but since it’s such an isolated issue, categorizing it as an “AS problem” wouldn’t be accurate
Agreed. I've seen it exactly once. Because of my paralyzed left arm, making accidental key combinations is a normal part of my workflow. I have no idea if I caused that one incident or not.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro