Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
hammerman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

Post by hammerman »

14.5 Public Beta seems to have fixed my problem.

This is the first time I have installed a Public Beta and I will go back to normal updates as soon as the Official 14.5 comes out.

If I run into any problems, I'll let y'all know...
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

In the meantime...

NI has posted requests for support cases, crash logs etc. plus a link to the Kontakt Player 6.8 for Mac download.

https://community.native-instruments.co ... ent_146395

I may download the public beta. There's an ongoing issue with Acrobat Professional that has higher priority at the moment—would be great if 14.5 fixed that, too..
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

NI are off the hook this time. Using the Sonoma 14.5 beta Kontakt 7.90 with DP11.3.1 is fixed, no kernel panic crash if two monitors are hooked up and you even look at the GUI. Testing Reaper 7, it's also not crashing. So this was obviously an OS issue, glad Apple got on it, glad I got the beta, annoyed I had to use a beta to solve an OS issue. :smash:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hey... just glad to see a beta that seems this stable. I've been using it since it was released hoping to track down my issues with DP 11.31 and poor graphic performance on Softube plugins. So far DP 11.31 is still having problems, although I know MOTU is aware of it and may have found a fix. I'm hopefully optimistic we're going to see another maintenance release of DP 11 soon.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:32 pm NI are off the hook this time. Using the Sonoma 14.5 beta Kontakt 7.90 with DP11.3.1 is fixed, no kernel panic crash if two monitors are hooked up and you even look at the GUI. Testing Reaper 7, it's also not crashing. So this was obviously an OS issue, glad Apple got on it, glad I got the beta, annoyed I had to use a beta to solve an OS issue. :smash:
Same here.

114.5 did not solve my Adobe issue, however, :banghead:
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm optimistic. There have been a lot of growing pains, but I'm hopeful that maybe in another year, tops, Apple Silicon systems will start to be as solid as the Intel systems we've been used to. It's just going to take time for Apple and all the various third party software and hardware developers to work out the kinks of a still relatively new architecture.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

James Steele wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:58 pm I'm optimistic. There have been a lot of growing pains, but I'm hopeful that maybe in another year, tops, Apple Silicon systems will start to be as solid as the Intel systems we've been used to. It's just going to take time for Apple and all the various third party software and hardware developers to work out the kinks of a still relatively new architecture.
The Steele speaks the truth!

Like I said, first beta I've ever used and so far, the best version of Sonoma yet. It seems very stable to me with everything. It will make me not want to move away from the final 14.5.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:32 pm NI are off the hook this time. Using the Sonoma 14.5 beta Kontakt 7.90 with DP11.3.1 is fixed, no kernel panic crash if two monitors are hooked up and you even look at the GUI. Testing Reaper 7, it's also not crashing. So this was obviously an OS issue, glad Apple got on it, glad I got the beta, annoyed I had to use a beta to solve an OS issue. :smash:
Decided to "take the plunge" and updated Sonoma to 14.5 (beta). It's my first time, ever, updating to a "beta" OS. I am very happy to say that DP11 and Kontakt 7 are playing nice with each other again. Everything else on my happy Mac Studio seem to be working as intended.

I will be very careful (like I normally am) when updating the next macOS. Lesson learned. . .
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Since updating to the macOS 14.5 public beta, DP has crashed on me a few times, always when deleting a track. It happens randomly and I cannot reproduce it at will. The last time was on a project with no instances of Kontakt.

I've amended my MOTU Techlink on this and have attached one of the crash reports. I've also been sending them into Apple directly and through the beta site.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I have a recurring bug in Generate an iLok protected instrument, it decides randomly to ask for authorization even though it's authorized on my iLok... :banghead: I don't know if it's an OS issue? probably not. I'll try authorizing the computer because it's kind driving me nuts. To a smaller degree the Slate Raven authorization also loses contact, but unplugging and plugging in the iLok solves that.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

Michael Canavan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:42 pm I have a recurring bug in Generate an iLok protected instrument, it decides randomly to ask for authorization even though it's authorized on my iLok... :banghead: I don't know if it's an OS issue? probably not. I'll try authorizing the computer because it's kind driving me nuts. To a smaller degree the Slate Raven authorization also loses contact, but unplugging and plugging in the iLok solves that.
I had this same issue with PSP stuff and Altiverb. Authorizing to the computer fixed the issue.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
enpromike

Post by enpromike »

None of this is working well for me. I bought my Macbook M2 Max. It came loaded with Sonoma 14. I updated to 14.4.1
Loaded DP 11.31 and Kontakt 7.81 and have had nothing but problems. K7 fails on initial plugin scan. I have launched and went into plugins to enable and it crashes instantly when loading... Man I have tried everything I can possibly think of and it's extremely frustrating. I hope there is a fix somehow soon. I've also tried Kontakt 7.90 (the latest) and same problems.
Curiously I installed Kontakt 6.71 and it does not crash DP, however I am experiencing new problems with that. Some of the Kontakt Libraries show up but upon loading them there is no sound. Specifically some Native Instruments Libraries, OrangeTree guitar libraries, Alicias Keys, Teletone Audio Libraries. It is not manufacturer specific though because 50% of the OrangeTree libraries work properly for example. Even native Instruments Mint Guitarist or Acoustic Strummed will work perfectly fine but Electric Sunburst Deluxe and Nylon Acoustic will emit no sound.... Very odd. I've tried changing SNPID #'s, Wallpapers, installing using KLU 1 and 2, using Kontakt Add libraries (a few different versions), Kontakt 5.6 and Kontakt 5.66..etc. I THEN updated to the 14.5 Beta (nothing to lose at this point so..) It seems to have cured the "Kernel-type" panic that would randomly shut the whole computer down but no luck on Kontakt 7 working at all. I'm checking this site daily until someone finds the answer. (Macbook Pro m2 Max/ 4tb ssd/ 96GB ram/ Sonoma 14.5 beta/ DP 11.31)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

enpromike wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:13 pm None of this is working well for me.

(Macbook Pro m2 Max/ 4tb ssd/ 96GB ram/ Sonoma 14.5 beta/ DP 11.31)
macOS Public Beta 14.5 (2) dropped this evening. My only issue with 14.5 was the occasional crash of DP when I deleted a track and that happened only three times — although once was a MIDI track with Kontakt 7.9.0 on ot, the other two weren't. I've a Studio M2 Ultra. I''m hoping that these random crashes stop. Wee'll see…
K7 fails on initial plugin scan.
Not seeing this at all.

Are you shutting down and rebooting before trying to load? Kontakt and Komplete have been requiring that since DP 8 or 9 for me.
Michael Stewart

Post by Michael Stewart »

Unfortunately it looks like the Kontakt crash bug is back in 14.5 beta 2 do not install!!!
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Had a nasty experience with freezing of the whole system after logging in.
Tried many workarounds.
Apple techs spent hours with me. (bless 'em)
Ended up wiping the whole internal drive and restoring from a Time Machine backup.
Hours of reauthorizing and linking to sound libraries etc.
I ended up with OS 14.3
The Apple folks were scolding me for using a beta OS on a work machine.
I explained about the Kontakt problem.
They thought it was NI's problem. :wink:

I think I'll hang out on 14.3 for a while.
All is well