Reface Low Output Volume

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
weegee
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Reface Low Output Volume

Post by weegee »

hardware: M2 with the latest driver/firmware + Yamaha Reface keyboard + MIDI keyboard

the input volume of my Yamaha CP reface often gets very low to the point of be almost inaudible you have to hit the key very hard in order to hear the slightest sound from it, it seems very random, when it happens, the only resolution is to restart the Yamaha Reface, everything else doesn't do it including restart the computer, the MIDI keyboard or M2, so I'm not sure which part is the culprit, as far as I recall, I've only had this problem recently (or maybe I wasn't paying extra attention before as I used it rarely), the set up is as straight as it can be, Reface line input straight into M2, any clues?
Last edited by weegee on Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU M2 low input volume

Post by HCMarkus »

Sounds like the Yamaha... is it possibly receiving an errant CC7 (volume) or CC11 (expression) message from your DAW or a controller?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

weegee wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:08 pm OS: windows 10
hardware: M2 with the latest driver/firmware + Yamaha Reface keyboard + MIDI keyboard

the input volume of my Yamaha CP reface often gets very low to the point of be almost inaudible you have to hit the key very hard in order to hear the slightest sound from it, it seems very random, when it happens, the only resolution is to restart the Yamaha Reface, everything else doesn't do it including restart the computer, the MIDI keyboard or M2, so I'm not sure which part is the culprit, as far as I recall, I've only had this problem recently (or maybe I wasn't paying extra attention before as I used it rarely), the set up is as straight as it can be, Reface line input straight into M2, any clues?
I can't quite follow this.

Input from what/where? Is it this?
An aux line input lets you play along with mobile devices, tablets, and more
Are you actually referring to the output?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:53 am Are you actually referring to the output?
That's what I figured.
weegee

Post by weegee »

sorry for the ambiguity, I'm always confused by those cables and ports, what I mean is I connect Reface directly to M2, the problem is they work just as intended initially, but after a random period of time, the volume from Reface gets extreme low, I have to restart the Reface in order to get the sound back to normal, I haven't got the chance to look into it extensively but for now I slightly lean toward its the problem from Reface, strangely they worked just fine without this glitch for a long time until very recently I've found out this problem, so they can be from either M2, windows or Reface that's what bothering me.

the MIDI keyboard is working fine regardless of this glitch.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

weegee wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:17 pm sorry for the ambiguity, I'm always confused by those cables and ports, what I mean is I connect Reface directly to M2, the problem is they work just as intended initially, but after a random period of time, the volume from Reface gets extreme low, I have to restart the Reface in order to get the sound back to normal, I haven't got the chance to look into it extensively but for now I slightly lean toward its the problem from Reface, strangely they worked just fine without this glitch for a long time until very recently I've found out this problem, so they can be from either M2, windows or Reface that's what bothering me.

the MIDI keyboard is working fine regardless of this glitch.
How are you connecting? R/L into channels 1/2 or Mono into one channel only? If Mono, have you changed the M2 input fro R to L?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

weegee wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:17 pm I have to restart the Reface in order to get the sound back to normal
Please review my fist post in this thread. Possible cause/fix. Your MIDI keyboard could well be the culprit if it is sending out spurious CC Messages. Restarting the Reface will clear, and get volume back to normal until another spurious CC is received.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
weegee

Post by weegee »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:26 pm
weegee wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:17 pm I have to restart the Reface in order to get the sound back to normal
Please review my fist post in this thread. Possible cause/fix. Your MIDI keyboard could well be the culprit if it is sending out spurious CC Messages. Restarting the Reface will clear, and get volume back to normal until another spurious CC is received.
no dice, restarting the MIDI keyboard doesn't fix it, for the past two days, I've been somehow actively playing it, the problem doesn't seem to reoccur during the day, but if I leave the reface on the whole night, the problem would come back the next morning I try it, not sure if the long idle on Reface causes that, the Reface doesn't have this mechanism to sleep after a certain period of time though, but at this point, I can only attribute this to the Reface because the only thing to fix this is to restart the Reface.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

weegee wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:05 pm
no dice, restarting the MIDI keyboard doesn't fix it, for the past two days, I've been somehow actively playing it, the problem doesn't seem to reoccur during the day, but if I leave the reface on the whole night, the problem would come back the next morning I try it, not sure if the long idle on Reface causes that, the Reface doesn't have this mechanism to sleep after a certain period of time though, but at this point, I can only attribute this to the Reface because the only thing to fix this is to restart the Reface.
Of course restarting the keyboard won't fix it. If the keyboard sends a message at some point, the Reface will receive it and the only way to clear is restarting the Reface. As per bolded sentence in my quoted comment above.

Exercise all the knobs/sliders/buttons/wheels on your keyboard. Or just restart the Reface daily if no other fix is found.

BTW, you might want to edit your first post to change the title of this thread to "Reface Low Output Volume"
weegee

Post by weegee »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:31 am
weegee wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:05 pm

Of course restarting the keyboard won't fix it. If the keyboard sends a message at some point, the Reface will receive it and the only way to clear is restarting the Reface. As per bolded sentence in my quoted comment above.

Exercise all the knobs/sliders/buttons/wheels on your keyboard. Or just restart the Reface daily if no other fix is found.

BTW, you might want to edit your first post to change the title of this thread to "Reface Low Output Volume"
but when I hit any keys on the Reface during this glitch, it still gives the same low volume, but that's the volume I hear through M2, I haven't tried it directly from Reface via headphone, will test that next time it occurs
weegee

Re: Reface Low Output Volume

Post by weegee »

a little update, I accidently found the culprit (in a way), its the expression pedal, somehow for some unknown reason, it meddles with the sound from reface, I still think something is wrong because I didn't have this problem before no matter how I press the petal, but for now when this glitch occurs (I still call it a glitch), I press the petal the other way, the sound back to normal, what's left is still puzzling me though, because when I restart the reface, it would work all normal for a while no matter what position the petal sits on until the glitch hits then I would have to reset the pedal to the position for the sound to come back :banghead:
HCMarkus

Re: Reface Low Output Volume

Post by HCMarkus »

You have discovered what I was trying to tell you all along.

Had I known you had an expression pedal connected to your controller, I would have mentioned it along with all the other physical controls your controller provides. This is why I suggested exercising (moving back and forth thru their full range) all your physical controls.

Might want to check this video out:

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 2PyG2A4_33

Your pedal may have a dirty pot. I'd rock it back and forth a bunch of times to see if that might help it work better. Also, unplug and replug into your MIDI keyboard a few times to clean the contact there.

Glad you found it!