Max Daisy Chain Mac M1 Ventura???

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
junkmanukuk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Max Daisy Chain Mac M1 Ventura???

Post by junkmanukuk »

Hi

Ive managed to Daisy chain 2 Ultralites but im having trouble getting my 3rd Ultralite to show up on my M1 Running Ventura with the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire (A1463) & Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (A1790) combo

Has anyone successfully got more than 2 daisy chained ??

Thanks
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Max Daisy Chain Mac M1 Ventura???

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm guessing here but the following comes to mind:

MOTU has long recommended using an external clock when three or more audio/MIDI devices are being used simultaneously to prevent drift.

You are using external power, yes? Although FW bus power is rated 24–27V, the Apple adapter is limited to 7.7V last I checked and bus power is unreliable past the first device in a daisy chain. If all three are not externally powered, I would look at that first.

A TB3 port on a Mac can handle 2 devices while a TB4 port can handle 5 per Apple and Intel (who licenses and certifies Thunderbolt). An older TB3 hub into a TB4 port has the same 2 unit limitation.

Although AudioMIDI Setup can combine devices to act as one Aggregate Device, I don't know how the port limitations affect this on an M1. I recommend trying a TB4 hub to see if this solves the problem. Getting it from Amazon makes it an easy return if that isn't it.

The FW spec supports a daisy chain of up to 6 devices or 7 if a monitor is on the end of the chain. Thunderbolt has never supported the entire FW spec but normally enough of it for our use.

How much of this applies to you?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro