Changing Velocity with by holding down "V" and dragging mouse!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Changing Velocity with by holding down "V" and dragging mouse!

Post by James Steele »

Geez... you learn something new every day! Did you know you can select a note or group of notes in the MIDI Editor, then press and hold the "v" key, and then drag up or down on the mouse to change the velocity... also a note preview will play at the same time! MIND BLOWN! DP is deep! Discovering something new every day!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
midilance

Re: Changing Velocity with by holding down "V" and dragging mouse!

Post by midilance »

Wow! Good to know.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think this is a fairly recent update to “tools”. I recall reading about it somewhere like release notes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:26 pm I think this is a fairly recent update to “tools”. I recall reading about it somewhere like release notes.
I guess... but I didn't know about this until today! Pretty useful!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, this is the first I'm learning of it. VERY USEFUL, INDEED!!

I just have to remember to click onto a note before dragging or it de-selects- But as long as I do, it works great. Now I can open that lower pane, make sure velocity is visible, and watch the values change.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I do all my editing, MIDI and Audio, in the Sequence Editor and Tracks windows and never use the MIDI Editor.

The "V" trick works on MIDI in the SE, too. I love it... a really great way to visualize and adjust dynamics. Gets a lot of use when working on MIDI drums, for example, "let's run all the kick hits a little hotter or cooler to get the desired drum tone." Select the pitch row, hold V and drag velocities of all the kicks up or down with the mouse.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

As soon as that feature was announced I adopted it. Like a lot of people I find velocity with the little v backwards arrows a bone of contention in DP so I was ripe for this one. Came in 10.1 BTW.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

While we are here... I am very happy doing all my editing in the SE, with occasional forays to the Tracks window.

So, why should I bother with the MIDI Editor window? Any compelling reasons?
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:37 pm While we are here... I am very happy doing all my editing in the SE, with occasional forays to the Tracks window.

The only time I edit MIDI in the SE is when I'm needing to align MIDI to some specific audio events.

I actually had to go mess around with the SE to see how they differ. So I can see a few compelling reasons to use the MIDI Editor.

1. You can select MIDI tracks in the sidebar so you can overlay them with each other onto the same window. (Using track colors to differentiate.

2. You have the split pane view, so you can see notes (always, and only) in the upper pane, and if needed, reveal the lower pane to show one other MIDI aspect/event in a parallel lane below.

3. The Conductor Track in MIDI Editor view has specific rulers for meter, key, and marker. Whereas the SE shows Markers on the ruler, plus whatever lane is currently shown.

4. SE requires more vertical scrolling positioning & zooming gestures. For me, I can keep those MIDI Editor windows open and positioned more easily, (I know there are ways to get the SE to do similar).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:19 am
HCMarkus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:37 pm While we are here... I am very happy doing all my editing in the SE, with occasional forays to the Tracks window.

SE requires more vertical scrolling positioning & zooming gestures. For me, I can keep those MIDI Editor windows open and positioned more easily, (I know there are ways to get the SE to do similar).
This is 100% the Reason I use the MIDI editor. honestly I really don't use the Sequence editor much until I start printing audio or I'm working with loops. It's all Tracks and MIDI editor here.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:31 pm As soon as that feature was announced I adopted it. Like a lot of people I find velocity with the little v backwards arrows a bone of contention in DP so I was ripe for this one. Came in 10.1 BTW.
Yeah. I don’t remember much of anything that came out around that time period. I was HEAVILY focused on a live band thing and my DP chops atrophied a bit.
Last edited by James Steele on Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected posting from wrong account