The Future of Digital Performer

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: The Future of Digital Performer

Post by CharlzS »

The only difference between Window and Mac is the absence of AU. Just select the 'Enable All' plugin set and then restart DP. Whatever you selected for your primary (VST or VST3) - all those should be active and passed. Scroll through the plugs and you'll see some listed as non-primary and the checkbox will not be selected. Click the checkbox, name the new plugin set and the one you checked will show as unexamined. Select all the ones you want to use and click Done. All the plugs that you marked as unexamined will now be examined/validated and available in DP.

As far as the future of DP - with all the recent additions, I think it's looking bright.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VST2 & VST3

Post by Michael Canavan »

Westlyn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:28 am And I think you see my frustration: I don't want to write responses to good people who are trying to offer assistance. I don't want to explain to tech support where my conflict lies. I want to work on THE PROJECTS!

Thanks again,
Jim Westlyn
There is no difference between learning how to use a mixing desk, music theory, computer maintenance, mastering an instrument, and how to set up DP. Almost everything you've posted here is not about bugs, it's about you not knowing how to set up your DAW. This is no different than not knowing what key a song is in, it's a technical limitation on your part if you can't figure out a song is in E minor, or how to set up UAD plugins in DP.

I absolutely understand being frustrated you have to wear so many hats to compose or record music in a DAW, but composing or recoding into a computer and using plugins is another set of skills, not some mystery nerd world, just like carpentry isn't a trade that only certain people can learn. Actually the biggest difference is carpentry is harder to master from reading a manual.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Westlyn

VST2 & VST3

Post by Westlyn »

Charlz:

I feel like I've done all of these things.

I'm going to go thru each of your suggestions carefully.

Where I'm not sure about "Name the new plug-in set". I don't want a new plug-in set. I just want to use both VST2's and VST 3's in one project without having to jump thru all of these hoops. Doesn't "Enable All" mean ENABLE ALL!!

Thank you for taking the time to help me out here.

Jim Westlyn
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Westlyn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:22 pm Charlz:

I feel like I've done all of these things.

I'm going to go thru each of your suggestions carefully.

Where I'm not sure about "Name the new plug-in set". I don't want a new plug-in set. I just want to use both VST2's and VST 3's in one project without having to jump thru all of these hoops. Doesn't "Enable All" mean ENABLE ALL!!

Thank you for taking the time to help me out here.

Jim Westlyn
"Enable All" means "Enable all the plug ins of your indicated preferred format."

Basically just scroll through the list. The ones that are checked will load when you restart DP (or the audio engine when you're asked after making changes) the ones that aren't checked won't be. And that will stay the same until you change it or add a new plug in.

When you install a new plugin, it will install all the various formats, VST3, VST2, etc, but when you next launch DP it will only load the format you designated with the preferred format check box.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Westlyn

VST2 & VST3

Post by Westlyn »

Michael Canavan:

You have been hugely generous with your time and skills, but now I think I'm pushing your buttons a little. And I don't mean to.

But I'm not changing my story. It might sound to you like I'm whining "I don't wanna" and I can see that.

If the DAW and the tools integrated with it don't serve the creative process, it's not the fault of the person being creative.

If the word processor doesn't allow the writer to "go with the flow", it's not the writer's fault.

All this back and forth - with terrific people like you - to just get the VST2 and VST3's to work together.

I don't have any interest is being a software technician - I'm a musician.

Thanks for your consideration,

Jim Westlyn
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Westlyn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:36 pm Michael Canavan:

You have been hugely generous with your time and skills, but now I think I'm pushing your buttons a little. And I don't mean to.

But I'm not changing my story. It might sound to you like I'm whining "I don't wanna" and I can see that.

If the DAW and the tools integrated with it don't serve the creative process, it's not the fault of the person being creative.

If the word processor doesn't allow the writer to "go with the flow", it's not the writer's fault.

All this back and forth - with terrific people like you - to just get the VST2 and VST3's to work together.

I don't have any interest is being a software technician - I'm a musician.

Thanks for your consideration,

Jim Westlyn
Sorry Jim, but everything I said was clearly laid out in the manual. A simple search of "plugin" gives only one result, it's three pages starting at 900. There are plenty of cases where what you said might be true, badly written manuals, or obscure things, but this is not one of them. I'm glad I could help, but don't think that somehow I or others are hiding obscure knowledge here, you flatly didn't bother reading the manual in this case.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Westlyn wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:10 amMy conflict with this VST2/VST3 situation is not being able to use both in the same project.
Maybe I misunderstood the original issue. Are you trying to use the VST2 and VST3 of the SAME plugin simultaneously?? I can't imagine why, but that's probably not something you'd normally want to do. You can mix VST2 and VST3 (on Windows at least from what I understand) of different plug-ins... but I'm pretty sure you can't run both versions of the SAME one.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Jim, the way to do what you want has been explained several times now. Hard to believe you have actually read the replies and then done what they say.

There’s no point in typing out the instructions again. You can go back and read what was already posted, and do that. Otherwise, there’s no point in the thread.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Westlyn

Post by Westlyn »

Everybody:

I clearly have somehow annoyed some of you and it was never my intention to do so.

I'm definitely not as tech savvy as I could be; all the detail just doesn't hold my attention. And everyone here has been generous with their time and effort.

I'm going to go away now and hope that you'll all forget how much I bugged you!

Thanks,
Jim Westlyn
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I’m sorry you didn’t get the answer you wanted. It’s really basic. There’s a list with three columns: a check box, the name of the plug-in, and the format. Check the boxes of the plugs you want to load when DP starts, uncheck the plugs you don’t. Quit and re-launch DP.

Westlyn

Post by Westlyn »

Thanks, James. You've always stepped up!