MOTU MIDI TimePiece AV USB and macOS Monterey

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU MIDI TimePiece AV USB and macOS Monterey

Post by Michael Canavan »

I bought an old Unitor 8 as a backup. I'm a little worried about the longevity of the drivers for the MTP/AV because they in fact haven't supported the AV for years now. On the other hand very recently Apple updated the drivers for the Unitor 8. Plus a while ago some OS update hosed the MTP/AV for a second or two, luckily in a dark sense my hardware synths were in the shop when that happened and an update to Mac OS fixed the issue.

Personally 99% of the time I use the AV as an 8 port hub, and don't really use any advanced features so if I was smart I would switch already.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:40 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:56 pmTo be clear, support has been discontinued but all MOTU MIDI units use the same driver. I bought a new unit and after Support got it working over Sonoma, my MTP AV USB did, too.
I wouldn't want to go so far as to say they're soft of generic within the family of interfaces spawned from the MTP, but I was pleasantly surprised that my more modern MIDI Express XT USB works fine connected to the ancient 2005 G4 Mac Mini running Leopard that I use as my dedicated Unisyn box. The driver I installed was from 2011!!
Yes, the older units need to have the 2.0.1 firmware and 1.34 USB controller chips. According to MOTU, I bought the last pair in 2012.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Skyko

Post by Skyko »

MOTU has really been a MASSIVE help to the people who've invested in their products. I was an early adopter of their first MTP years, and YEARS ago and it held solid for 7-8 years (approximating) until the MTP AV (pre-USB) one came out.

Then I was overjoyed when I could use that with the USB MTP. And now to even be able to use both of them with A SILICON MAC?!?!?!? Holy COW! I've been through 3 (maybe 4) Macs since then and can still use those MIDI Time Pieces.... Unreal!

Because of this legendary attention to the customer, I just bought 2 new MOTU 828's and they work flawlessly with my 20-year-old O2R96. I also got my father an older 828 and a traveler. I hope they continue this excellent record and never sell out to a big corporation. (Unless they already have and I don't know about it).

Cheers!! :)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:18 pm
James Steele wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:40 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:56 pmTo be clear, support has been discontinued but all MOTU MIDI units use the same driver. I bought a new unit and after Support got it working over Sonoma, my MTP AV USB did, too.
I wouldn't want to go so far as to say they're soft of generic within the family of interfaces spawned from the MTP, but I was pleasantly surprised that my more modern MIDI Express XT USB works fine connected to the ancient 2005 G4 Mac Mini running Leopard that I use as my dedicated Unisyn box. The driver I installed was from 2011!!
Yes, the older units need to have the 2.0.1 firmware and 1.34 USB controller chips. According to MOTU, I bought the last pair in 2012.
Yep... I'm all up-to-date on that. :) Like I mentioned on my thread about the G4 Mac Mini and Unisyn... if it turns out I could get reliable sysex using my old MTP/AV with the Intel Mac Mini and Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) I'd be faced with the dilemma of whether I'd want to swamp out my modern MIDI Express XT for my ancient MTP/AV... then switch between the Mini and my Mac Studio with my USB switch. Still would see a shame to ditch that interface.

So many possibilities. Yeesh! :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!