VST examination failed

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
arcy
Primary DAW OS: Windows

VST examination failed

Post by arcy »

Hi! I'm not new to DP, but new to DP in Windows 11.
I'm trying the DP 11.31 trial. I have some VST3 plugin that failed the initial examination. I tried to reexaminate them, but with no success. I also tried to reinstall the plugins.
The plugins is:
1) Sine player from Orchestral Tools
2) all Soundtoys plugins
3) All the Analog Obsession plugins
4) Dune 3 synth
5) AMEK console from Brainworx

Obviously, all licensed plugin that I correctly use in any other DAW on Windows 11.
Could you help me?

Thanks!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VST examination failed

Post by mikehalloran »

arcy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:31 am Hi! I'm not new to DP, but new to DP in Windows 11.
I'm trying the DP 11.31 trial. I have some VST3 plugin that failed the initial examination. I tried to reexaminate them, but with no success. I also tried to reinstall the plugins.
The plugins is:
1) Sine player from Orchestral Tools
2) all Soundtoys plugins
3) All the Analog Obsession plugins
4) Dune 3 synth
5) AMEK console from Brainworx

Obviously, all licensed plugin that I correctly use in any other DAW on Windows 11.
Could you help me?

Thanks!
Do the VSTs *VST) load?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
arcy

Post by arcy »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:05 pm Do the VSTs *VST) load?
The VSTs are loaded in the plugin list but are in "failed" status. I tried to reexamine but they doesn't pass...
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Mike I'm pretty sure meant VST2 versions if they exist, sometimes it's the VST3 version that fails, but VST2 still works.

Another thing to try is to reexamine the failed plugins, At least here on Mac OS occasionally DP plugin examination fails some VSTs the first time through, but will subsequently pass them upon reexamination.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Windows VST2/VST3 validation has been rough sledding in Windows (and on Mac a while back). It keeps getting better but still the odd plug does not pass (and won't until whatever int, float, char thing gets worked out).
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
arcy

Post by arcy »

Michael Canavan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:18 pm Mike I'm pretty sure meant VST2 versions if they exist, sometimes it's the VST3 version that fails, but VST2 still works.

Another thing to try is to reexamine the failed plugins, At least here on Mac OS occasionally DP plugin examination fails some VSTs the first time through, but will subsequently pass them upon reexamination.
Yep, I tried to reexaminate but failed. And if I use the VST2 version DP crashes...
I wrote to MOTU...
Anyway, it's unusable for me if I can't play with Sine Player...all my orchestra is put there..
Michael Canavan

arcy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:27 am
Michael Canavan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:18 pm Mike I'm pretty sure meant VST2 versions if they exist, sometimes it's the VST3 version that fails, but VST2 still works.

Yep, I tried to reexaminate but failed. And if I use the VST2 version DP crashes...
I wrote to MOTU...
Anyway, it's unusable for me if I can't play with Sine Player...all my orchestra is put there..
slightly off topic but I'm really really hoping DP adopts CLAP the new universal plugin format. VST3 has been a huge issue for everyone for 15 years now and there is little to no documentation for hosting VST in general, everyonw is winging it. , DP isn't the only DAW with issues, but I think they're likely to really benefit from a truly open not tied to Steinberg, Apple or Avid format.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
arcy

Post by arcy »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:42 am slightly off topic but I'm really really hoping DP adopts CLAP the new universal plugin format. VST3 has been a huge issue for everyone for 15 years now and there is little to no documentation for hosting VST in general, everyonw is winging it. , DP isn't the only DAW with issues, but I think they're likely to really benefit from a truly open not tied to Steinberg, Apple or Avid format.
Can be a solution, but the adoption of CLAP format will be slow IMHO...
It's true that VST3 was hard to implement, but in each other DAW that I use I haven't any sort of problem..Sine player, Soundtoys etc all works perfectly..
Michael Canavan

arcy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:41 am
Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:42 am slightly off topic but I'm really really hoping DP adopts CLAP the new universal plugin format. VST3 has been a huge issue for everyone for 15 years now and there is little to no documentation for hosting VST in general, everyonw is winging it. , DP isn't the only DAW with issues, but I think they're likely to really benefit from a truly open not tied to Steinberg, Apple or Avid format.
It's true that VST3 was hard to implement, but in each other DAW that I use I haven't any sort of problem..Sine player, Soundtoys etc all works perfectly..
The thing is all DAWs are subject to bugs because they have to reverse engineer VST3 hosting. My recent fun bug is Kontakt 7, In DP and Reaper if I move the GUI of Kontakt 7 it hard crashes the Mac here. Logic, Live, Bitwig all do not have that problem. Online though in the NI forums all kinds of people are having that crash with all kinds of setups, mostly people with a dual monitor setup, but not always.

I know you probably already did this, but it's a good idea to check and make sure you have the latest versions of Sine and Soundtoys. I recently used the KVR application to check my plugins for updates ands it was in the hundreds that were versions behind! :shock:
arcy

Post by arcy »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:55 am
arcy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:41 am
The thing is all DAWs are subject to bugs because they have to reverse engineer VST3 hosting. My recent fun bug is Kontakt 7, In DP and Reaper if I move the GUI of Kontakt 7 it hard crashes the Mac here. Logic, Live, Bitwig all do not have that problem. Online though in the NI forums all kinds of people are having that crash with all kinds of setups, mostly people with a dual monitor setup, but not always.

I know you probably already did this, but it's a good idea to check and make sure you have the latest versions of Sine and Soundtoys. I recently used the KVR application to check my plugins for updates ands it was in the hundreds that were versions behind! :shock:
Thanks! Yep, I confirm that I have the last version of each plugins :wink:
Michael Canavan

arcy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:37 am Thanks! Yep, I confirm that I have the last version of each plugins :wink:
I guess the only thing left is to notify MOTU and the plugin developer. U-He started off as an AU only plugin developer, and they had a bug that was specific to DP in their AU plugin for Diva preventing it from passing validation. :shock: They honorably admitted it was on them and fixed it in an update. SoundToys is used heavily by DP users on Mac so I see no reason they wouldn't respond to a failed evaluation on Windows. :)